New Opportunity to Mentor. Suggestions?

As many of you are aware I'm retiring from patient care 3 weeks from today, not that I'm counting.  When I first gave my notice I had mentioned that I'd like to teach/lecture prn, or maybe mentor new hires.  My SP's are interested in trying this out since apparently each physician is responsible for taking the time to train their APP and it's costing them money.  They would like to try it for maybe a year and see what develops, which would be fine by me.  I'm looking for ideas that I maybe haven't thought of that I could offer, considering that I'm not familiar with their office/network operation.  Aside from mentoring new hires clinically, I've thought about assisting them with learning the EHR once I figure out how to use it (Epic), and during group meetings provide discussion topics for review discussion such as I have done with our monthly physician meetings (I usually pick three abstracts from my monthly service to discuss).  This would be a non-patient care position; in other words I'm not laying a hand on a patient or speaking with them.

In my mind I see this as maybe a week or so every so often whenever there is a hire, or monthly for staff meetings.  I'm just looking to get out of the house and earn just enough to take some nice extended vacations and cover health insurance.  I would anticipate a daily pay rate and have provided them my current daily rate.  Anything else that anyone can think of?  This is NOT to cover for others during vacation time, maternity, illness, etc.  My days with patients are done.  I frankly don't want to start anything till after the first of the year so I can enjoy the holiday season.

Clarification:  This mentoring opportunity would be with the SP's group and not my current employer, thus the question.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LEAD PA/NP

non clinical

orient new hires - run meetings - be liaison for policy review in the office

do formalized CME for the office

do chart reviews for ALL clinicians

The problem I see is the one day a week - they are going to want you there for the first 3 months of a new hire training - counter this with making yourself EXPENSIVE so they have you for one day....

Formalized CME? Everyone loves their conferences, and hates meetings. 

Figuring how to present yourself as a chart review guru for billing and coding purposes sounds like a winner if you think you are up for it. And teaching billing and coding to new hires could be a sweet niche that insulates you from the greedy admins who would balk at your wage. I see that and EMR training as being your best hope of a workable side gig that wouldn’t drive you nuts or demand too much time from your retirement. Push to be random chart reviewer for the new folk to make sure they are doing things right. You could do individualized sessions with them. 

Most providers under code. You could be the guy who helps them do it just right.

• Upvote 2

The more that I think about this the more that I'm willing to consider only a couple of options.  After all, I am retiring for a reason.  Mentoring new hires (especially new grads) and reviewing incoming labs for important "you need to be aware of this" results are about the only things that I'm willing to consider, other than the random selection of interesting, pertinent clinical abstracts whenever they have provider meetings.  I'm not interested in trying to get the situation certified as self-produced CME allowing for credit (other than type II).  We are talking part-time at best from my perspective.  I'm only interested in keeping myself from going stir crazy on the sofa.  Driving my yellow ball cap blue pickup for NAPA might be easier.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Upvote 1

I hear you! I retired from most of clinical practice but I still round in hospitals one day per week, cover other times only when I am available, and teach half-time for a PA program. I usually do two days with EMS (not at night anymore). We go on vacation when we want, obviously with some notice.

I love this life! Working with students is fun and a chance to give back. I often round with a PA or 4th year med student and that is fun as well.

If I didn’t do this, I think I would be welded to my couch streaming TV shows until my arteries hardened.

Whatever floats your boat. You have a lot to offer and now it’s you who gets to decide, where, when, and how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk