Relias Healthcare EM Fellowship

I received an eMail about a new-ish PA/NP EM fellowship in Tupelo, MS through Relias Healthcare .

Since it's newer I'm assuming no one has completed it but I'm curious to see if some of the more seasoned members, specifically those who have done a fellowship/residency, would be willing to look at some of the details and offer an opinion.  It seems to be lacking some of the key features I've seen in other EM post-grad training programs and it's in a state that I've heard is notoriously pro-NP and PA unfriendly.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like there is some off service rotations, as they speak about an OB rotation, which is a really good thing and missing from even some good programs. Definitely would inquire about what off service rotations there are. I’ve from around that area, and not sure I would choose to train in the Deep South until practice environments improve. I don’t think it’s great for NPs or PAs down that way. Just personal opinion.

biggest problem: ACGME requires 5 hours per week of education. They give 4 per month. Way below the mark unless you are doing a ton of asynchronous learning (reading and answering quizzes), but only 25% of education can come from that per ACGME. So they miss the mark on education. My residency also has journal club every month. Think your going to miss out on a lot of discussion doing it only twice per year.

• Upvote 1

I didn't actually see a rotation breakdown on the APP fellowship website.  They list rotations for a 1 year physician EM fellowship designed to prepare IM/FP physicians to work in an ED (I won't even open that can of worms).  Odd that in 12 months they don't list any actual rotations in the ED as part of the fellowship; I'm not sure if a month in OB or a month in ophtho are a substitute for actual time in the ED.

Edited by medic25
  • Like 1

Agree with the above. More info is needed regarding off-service rotations. I do agree that OB is a good rotation, but I would say you don't need to use a full month for it. I think setting aside a week for OB where your primary goal is to get as many deliveries as possible would be better, as OB is a very small portion of EM. Also agree with the above statement that their didactics is lacking big time. In my fellowship we had weekly education alongside the physician residents and monthly journal club. The fellowship should provide you with ACLS, PALS and ATLS, in my opinion. Not sure if this program does that, as they are listed as application requirements. Also, their primary work site is a Level II trauma center, so you may (or may not) miss out on some exposure there. Without knowing more about their curriculum I'd say that this program sounds weak, at best, based on available info (which isn't much). There are much better and known commodities in terms of EM fellowships so I'd steer clear unless more info is available.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1