New Grad Ortho offer

Hi all,

I am will be a new grad graduating in September. I have been offered a orthopedic sports medicine position at an ortho group in California. 3 days a week in clinic and 2 days in OR. I have little experience negotiating in these situations and would like to get some feedback reagrding the offer.

Salary 92k

Vacation: 3 weeks PTO (includes sick and cme time) plus 8 holidays

1500/year for CME

All licensures, DEA, membership in professional associations paid for.

Professional liability paid for. No tail coverage as far as I can tell. Is this a problem? Another potential employer also told me the same.

Group (employee) healthcare, dental, disability, life insurance premiums are covered. However I would have to pay for my wife's coverage which I was told would be around 700 a month. HR told me that they work with a broker who would help me get my wife her own policy for around 300-400 a month, which I would have to cover. Either way sounds pricey? I have never had my wife on my insurance so I am not familiar with this cost.

Call is optional Call Stipend is $150/wk nite 5p-7a; $500/wkend for 48 hours.

I was told that there is also a production bonus which pays 50% of any billing above my overhead. This sounds good but I really have no idea how much I would typically bill in a year.

I really want to do ortho, I like the doc, it is extemely close to home. I feel that this is pretty good offer. I have yet to counter. The main things that worries me is the health insurance for my wife and tail coverage. Any thing I should ask for, or be concerned about?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tail coverage would be coverage for you after your leave that practice... so if 2 years later someone tries to sue you for a procedure when you are working a new job you are covered with insurance (someone correct me if that is incorrect)

That's correct!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived