Interesting - telesurgery...but also scary

https://www.zdnet.com/article/first-long-distance-heart-surgery-performed-via-robot/

Article talking about long distance heart surgery performed via robot with surgeon 20 miles away.  Obviously the idea is similar to current telemedicine in the sense of "distributing" providers to rural or high-need communities without actually relocating them, but this is also SCARY!  What happens if the connection is disrupted mid-surgery?  They mention that concern in the article, but doing a surgery remotely that will ALWAYS be a concern.  Who is at fault, who is liable?  Obviously things change over time, but I don't see myself ever being a part of this (as a provider or patient) except in the most dire of situation.

the connection issue

they have developed some high tech solutions where you can literally go onto ANY cell signal at all - and it is locked on or something like that.  it was developed to provide coverage to cycling races on the roads with out helicopter, cars, motorcycles and the like.... and is far cheaper - would assume it will not take long for this to become more accessible other industries...

I can see how having a highly trained surgical PA as the primary person in the room, and a robot might just work. 

course the  nightmare situation of tech failure is there

I can only think about the autonomous cars and how we are expecting a 100% when in fact the people (drivers) they are replacing are FAR FAR below 100% correct.  In fact I would suggest that almost 100% of accidents are people's fault on the road so a error rate that is FAR less then this (although still not zero) would be a huge improvement.....

• Upvote 1

Dave: Ummmm Hal, what are you doing????? 

Hal: (hear the movie voice) Nothing Dave, just improving on nature.....................

========================================================================

Or,  Terminator AI taking over and making arbitrary decisions about humanity.

========================================================================

Anyone see the old Farrah Fawcett movie Logan's Run where the laser surgery goes awry?

Sorry, feeling a bit snarky today