Any advice is much appreciated....chances?

Hey I was just wondering if some of you could shed some light on my chances of getting into PA school, preferably Touro Bayshore. I did my undergrad at Stony Brook University...

Science GPA= 3.039

Overall GPA= 3.35

** My first few years of my undergrad I was unsure of what to do in life and was playing Division I Ice Hockey for Stony Brook along with working...therefore my grades suffered a bit, specifically the science classes i took early on, since about my second and half year to the end of my undergrad i received nothing but A's and B's...After I graduated I continued to take courses including Anatomy and Phys I + II, Microbiology, Medical Terminology and EMT-B, in which I earned A's, a 4.0 in all of these classes and was at the top of my class in all.

Other Information:

Patient to Patient Hours: ~1100hrs as a PT Aide

PA shadowing hours: ~250hrs shadowing a Family Care PA

24 hours of clinical rotations in the Stony Brook Univ Emergency Room

Emergency Room Companion certification

First aid/ CPR / AED certfication

EMT-B certification

Mandated reporter certification

Volunteer hours helping build houses with Habitat for Humanity

Volunteer hours with my Ice Hockey team with charities such as toys for tots

Playing Division I Ice Hockey for Stony Brook for 4 years during undergrad

I am a very hard worker and will do whatever it takes to show the admissions that my GPA doesnt come close to representing my work ethic and intelligence, it just took me a little bit of time to figure out what i wanted in life and to mature.

I am currently in the process of applying for PA school for the upcoming cycle, and am studying to take my GRE in june where i hopefully will score high and have that help me out with getting into a school

Thanks for any help, and please if you have any advice towards me it would be greatly appreciated. (Im contemplating on re-taking a 1-2 chem/bio courses this summer as i know i will get an A in them without a problem, but that would mean id have to delay my application until the end of the semester/summer and id like to get it in as soon as possible considering its rolling admissions and i want to give myself the best shot possible.)

Thats great news as I have been nervous and down on myself for the grades I earned in my teens in college...thanks for the positivity, Do you think its smart to wait and take my gre before sending out my application? My plans were to include that score (assuming i do well which im studying hard to do so) in my personal statement to back up my committment and show the my early undergrad years dont represent who i am today

How's your last 60 credit hour GPA? Did you calculate it using the CASPA conversions? A 3.0 science GPA is low, as I'm sure you're aware. You're going to need to be very successuful on the GRE, and have a large amount of high quality HCE to have a chance at offsetting your low GPAs. You may want to consider an AS in an allied health profession to rehab those GPAs. I had similar stats with 4k as a RT and gained acceptance, but it wasn't easy.

My last 62 credits are as follows... Cumulative GPA= 3.711 and science GPA (23credits out of the last 62 credits were science - Microbio, A&P 1 and 2, Organic Lab, Bio labs, Chem labs, and other bio courses) = 3.656..... I did all calculations using the CASPA conversions

I also have a quick question...For my letters of recommendation I have one from my microbiology professor (I figured since my gpa is low it'd be good to have a recommendation from a professor in microbiology especially because I finished top in the class), a physician assistant and my emt professor who is also the Head Director at Stony Brook University Medical Center Emergency Department. I also have a physical therapist writing me a letter including the hours of patient to patient care I have acquired there as an aide...but I did not include this in my CASPA, I thought the other letters would be better...

After thinking it through, I was wondering if CASPA/PA Programs require the letter stating approx. patient to patient hours, because I was planning on sending that, along with other letters from my coach, employeer,etc in a portfolio separate to each school....would that be okay or must I include that letter in my CASPA?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, just a quick update... I took my GRE June 7th and got :

Verbal : 156 -- 72% scored below

Quant: 156 -- 74% scored below

Writing: 4.5 -- 72% scored below

I was just wondering if this is pretty good or not, and whether it will help/hurt my application?

Hey everyone, just a quick update... I took my GRE June 7th and got :

Verbal : 156 -- 72% scored below

Quant: 156 -- 74% scored below

Writing: 4.5 -- 72% scored below

I was just wondering if this is pretty good or not, and whether it will help/hurt my application?

yea i understand that...but to be completely honest its a pride i have for myself that my scores make me happy about. I know my potential and i know that during my undergrad i didnt show that potential because of immaturity... since ive been focused ive accomplished so much and the gre scores are just another thing that gives me confidence and pride....But thank you for the dump in my cheerios lol

yea i understand that...but to be completely honest its a pride i have for myself that my scores make me happy about. I know my potential and i know that during my undergrad i didnt show that potential because of immaturity... since ive been focused ive accomplished so much and the gre scores are just another thing that gives me confidence and pride....But thank you for the dump in my cheerios lol

Look at the schools averages for the GRE, GPA, and healthcare experience accepted from last year, this is another good way to see if you have a shot. Try and continue to volunteer in the community as well because most programs like if you are well rounded and value community service. Good Luck! By the way I got into 2 schools with a GPA similar to yours and had 5 interviews :)

Archived