2019-2020 cycle

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZMurphy001 said:

Congrats to everyone that has gotten excepted! My name is Zach and I am a second-year student of the program who is just about done with the didactic portion of the program and will be heading out for rotations in February. If you have any questions about the program, ask away!

Zach, 

What would you say your best advice is for the didactic portion of the program is? How do you handle the heavy course load and staying in school from 8-5 everyday? Thanks!

1 hour ago, wallsmp said:

Zach, 

What would you say your best advice is for the didactic portion of the program is? How do you handle the heavy course load and staying in school from 8-5 everyday? Thanks!

I would say that the best advice is to find a way of studying that works best for you and don't fall into the trap that you have to study until really late. For example, I commute ~1hr. each way and I have never studied past 9pm. I personally believe that more studying isn't better, better studying is better. Also, continue doing things that you enjoy doing outside of class such as working out, going outside, or taking the time to unwind at night to watch some TV. Somedays you are in class from 8-5 but most days, especially as you get further in the didactic portion, you are not. Also, don't worry about buying books, unless you like having a hard copy, because we have all of the books electronically. Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions! 

On 11/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, ZMurphy001 said:

Congrats to everyone that has gotten excepted! My name is Zach and I am a second-year student of the program who is just about done with the didactic portion of the program and will be heading out for rotations in February. If you have any questions about the program, ask away!

I also interviewed November 1st and was accepted earlier this week! @Cydney

Zach, 

How well would you say your classes line up in terms of the systems based format? Also, how would you say the student environment is between your class? And, finally, what made you choose toledo over other programs? I am deciding between toledo and one other school and having a hard time making the decision. Thanks so much! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mcmil said:

I also interviewed November 1st and was accepted earlier this week! @Cydney

Zach, 

How well would you say your classes line up in terms of the systems based format? Also, how would you say the student environment is between your class? And, finally, what made you choose toledo over other programs? I am deciding between toledo and one other school and having a hard time making the decision. Thanks so much! 

The PA program at UT doesn't follow a system by system format. Instead, there are topics that keep coming up in your different classes so you constantly get a review throughout the didactic portion. Though frustrating during the spring semester b/c you have little medical knowledge, I personally prefer this way of learning things rather than learning all about one system of the body and then never revisiting anything related to the system. I would say that my classmates and I have become like a second family and always help each other. That being said, just like with your regular family, there are days when you want a break from some of the personalities of your fellow classmates. However, this is normal and is to be expected when you are with a group of people for many months and hours in the same classroom. I chose Toledo b/c they were the only program that actually accepted me (I had tried for three years to get into PA programs and since they were willing to take a chance on me that meant a lot) and they are relatively close to where I live now, so I can save money commuting. Hope that helps, and good luck choosing a program! The Toledo PA program is pretty good though, but I may be a little biased 😉

On 11/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, ZMurphy001 said:

Zach,

what’s something you wish you knew when you started P.A. school?

5 hours ago, wallsmp said:

Zach,

what’s something you wish you knew when you started P.A. school?

I wish that I would have known how much of a mental drain that PA school would be. However, even if I had known, it wouldn't have stopped me from going to PA school. Just be prepared that you might feel a little burned out by the end of a semester or didactic year and that's ok. I just tell myself that this is the trade off of learning so much information in 27 months and keep my eyes on the PA-C prize and know that all this hardwork will lead to a rewarding career.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...