Starting First Job Timeline

I’ll be graduating early next August and taking the PANCE by the end of August. Hypothetically, if I have a job secured sometime during rotations, how long does it usually take to get licensure and credentialing done and start the job full time? I realize credentialing depends on the employer. 

Plan on 3 months.  The earliest for my class for starting was about 3 months after graduating and that's with most of us taking PANCE 1-2 weeks after graduation.  Everything takes time and it's sequential.

That's for those of us that had positions prior to graduating.  

Edited by MT2PA
  • Like 1

You'll find this may vary wildly from state to state. The license application itself can vary from 2 to 24 pages. In many places, committees meet to review license applications and they may only meet monthly. 

Hospital credentialing is its own very special process.

• Upvote 1

it really depends on what state you're trying to become credentialed in.

Don't rush it, take some time off after PA school to just enjoy life for a couple of weeks. You'll eventually get credentialed and start working and probably won't be able to have a vacation for a while. Just enjoy it and hang out with friends and family- you won't regret it