Family Med New Grad

Hi all! I just accepted a job with a private outpatient family med doctor after being pretty picky and making sure I felt like it was a good fit for me. He was very hesitant on hiring a new grad and I just want to make sure I give it my best! Does anyone have any reading material they recommend that I can study on work-ups/treatments for the most common ailments in family practice? Also, any pocket reference books? I’m feeling rusty after taking off a few months after graduation! Thanks in advance. 

USPSTF guidelines. Colorectal screening guidelines.  Lab work, as in when to freak out and when not to.  Don't give b12 to iron deficient anemia and don't give iron to b12 anemia.  Don't forget a colorectal review if you see hgb drop- they don't necessarily need a colonoscopy but you should put it in your decision making assessment..which brings me to...

documentation.

Don't skimp.  Don't cut corners, no matter how pressured you feel.  Don't be shy to put down your thought process in the assessment, it lets others know what you are thinking and can sometimes justify a higher billing code.  

• Administrator
On 4/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, mgriffiths said:

I would highly recommend getting UpToDate if not already available.  It is very handy and very easy to refer to - I use it daily, multiple times per day.

... and will cover your entire CME requirement.  Mind you, I still recommend "traditional" CME, but UpToDate typically got me 10 hours of Cat I CME per month, which is AFTER me carefully picking and choosing what to count and not double-counting topics I'd revisited on different days.  Very awesome resource.

Archived