Schools with a social justice emphasis

Hi, all,

I'm wondering if anyone can speak to certain programs having a stronger social justice focus? My background has been in syringe exchanges, harm reduction, lgbtq access, and abortion care, and I'm curious if any programs might particularly value this work?

Relatedly, can anyone speak to if there would be more benefit in continuing along this path, primarily working as a non-certified medical assistant and phlebotomist, or pursuing an emt-b?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I can only speak from the experience of my PA program and what I've heard from other friends in different PA schools, but in general my impression is that schools in large cities place more emphasis on at-risk patient populations like LGBTQ/HIV+/etc in their curriculums than those in more suburban/rural areas. You can also get a sense of which PA programs tend to be more involved in social justice by perusing the Student Academy of AAPA page. 

Guest thePAway

I disagree with the above comment, almost every program I have seen wants to see you giving back to your community or serving underrepresented populations. It is in many schools mission statements and many supplemental essays are related to how you have served/want to serve your community. You could definitely incorporate how you want to help underrepresented populations in your personal statement to help emphasize how that is important to you!

Archived