Deputy Medical Director

I'm look for anyone who has served as a medical director for a department or an assistant or deputy director. An unusual circumstance has arisen at work that may let me create a position that would then be a jumping off point to bigger things.

I have been told that here in Texas a PA can't be a medical director but I can't find anything solid on that. I don't think it would be allowed under the circumstances anyway but I think I have a shot at a deputy slot.

Thoughts are appreciated. Message me if easier

So here's the story because this may work out. Our medical director stepped down (7 urgent care clinics as part of a big hospital system) and, with 6 months warning, the hospital still hasn't found a replacement. As of March 1 there isn't a medical director so it will fall to an internist who is also VP of clinical services and probably couldn't find the UCs on a map.

I talked to the admin director and suggested myself as deputy medical director while they continue to look. She likes the idea a lot and is going to try and sell it further up the food chain. This is my way of getting my foot in the door because this place NEEDS a real senior APP as opposed to the 3 useless figureheads they have currently appointed.

That is where I am now. I should know something in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

love it!!  great attitude

I am slowly working into a little bit of admin role - informal

The thing that amazes me is some peoples total lack of understand of a shared common goal - granted I work in corrections in a secure setting but we still are there for one thing - to care for the patient the best way we can.  I think people get to lost in their own self importance and conjecture to realize that we are all part of team, some of us are more valuable then others, but we all have mission critical jobs that need to get done.  That $12 receptionist or MA is critical to the success of your organization, as is the $200/provider.  But this does not mean we all get to slack off, but instead it means open minded, take criticism, reflect on it, improve and move forward.....

good luck   I figure 5-10 more years of clinical medicine and I am either admin or teaching.... 

Archived