Does this count as PCE/HCE? Patient Care Navigator (Transitional Care Coordinator)

Hello everyone, 

As healthcare is constantly changing, new roles in the field are proportionally emerging. I have been working as a Patient Care Navigator at a hospital and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this count as a PCE or HCE? 

My role as a Care Navigator is similar to that of a Nurse Transitional Care Coordinator - we ensure that all patients are discharging from the hospital with appropriate follow up care. We work closely with medical doctors, nurses, case managers, and social workers. Essentially, whenever a patient is ready to be discharged from the hospital, Care Navigators would prompt patients in person to discuss their discharge plans - help with understanding what has happened in the hospital, and who they will need to follow up with. Consequently, Care Navigators move forward with making follow up appointments for these patients and communicate with doctors regarding the patients' diagnoses in the hospital. On a day-to-day level, Care Navigators are regarded in the medical team, in which we will have to attend Multidisciplinary Rounds (MDR's), where the hospitalist for the day discusses the needs and progress of each patient of the unit. 

Personally, I find this experience to be one of the most rewarding for somebody who does not have a specific healthcare credential - neither an RN nor CNA. However, as it is a newer role in the medical team, I am unsure how will this experience be regarded by PA Programs. Please let me know! Thank you!

Guest HopeToBePAC

No, I don't think this would count. This seems very similar to a patient transporter in a hospital - transferring patients throughout the hospital/discharging them, and although you are directly interacting with patients, you aren't doing anything medical "hands on" if you know what I mean. This is HCE for sure, PCE will be a tough shot. Just ask the schools you're interested in and see what they say it would count for. 

Guest thatgirlonabike

I feel like you get the same kind experience that scibes do.  Not hands on but you learn a lot about a pt's disease process and disposition.  Some schools take that-- about half of the group I interviewed with at Duke had nothing but scribe experience.  You can learn a lot-- pt's in transitional care are usually some of the sickest ones out there.  The MDR's can be super informative if you make it a point to understand everyone's diagnosis with time outside of work studying.  I wouldn't just ask schools but make a case for your position.

Just now, thatgirlonabike said:

I feel like you get the same kind experience that scibes do.  Not hands on but you learn a lot about a pt's disease process and disposition.  Some schools take that-- about half of the group I interviewed with at Duke had nothing but scribe experience.  You can learn a lot-- pt's in transitional care are usually some of the sickest ones out there.  The MDR's can be super informative if you make it a point to understand everyone's diagnosis with time outside of work studying.  I wouldn't just ask schools but make a case for your position.

Thank you for your comment! Yes! In fact, our company is based out of ScribeAmerica's parent company. We get scribe's training as well as additional Care Navigation training. With our understanding in pathophysiology, we tend to have more understanding in the course of treatments (prognoses) of each pt admitted to the hospital. Truly a wonderful experience - especially, when we are held accountable for every pt's post-discharge follow up appointments and education! But yes, I will make a case - great advice! Thank you!

Guest thatgirlonabike
4 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

No offense to you or you job situation, but I always answer these posts: If you have to ask,  the answer is probably no. 

Not necessarily true.  Transitions departments are a relatively new phenomenon in hospitals.  So here are going to be new positions that are created to cover these new programs.  And this is basically like scribing but with a bit more thinking.

Now on the other hand I don't think scribing makes good PCE for future PAs but obviously Duke  does so it doesn't matter. 

12 minutes ago, thatgirlonabike said:

Not necessarily true.  Transitions departments are a relatively new phenomenon in hospitals.  So here are going to be new positions that are created to cover these new programs.  And this is basically like scribing but with a bit more thinking.

Now on the other hand I don't think scribing makes good PCE for future PAs but obviously Duke  does so it doesn't matter. 

I'm also in the "scribe is a mobile transcriptionist" camp. no responsibility except for typos. it is paid shadowing. 

Archived