What are my chances?

Hi, everyone!

This if my first ever post for this forum!😀 I was wondering if I could receive feedback on my stats for PA school since I plan on applying this April. My cGPA is currently a 3.41 and my sGPA is a 3.25. I know that it is not very impressive, but I have brought it up significantly in the past 2x years. My cGPA 2x years ago was a 3.07 and my sGPA was a 2.85 and I have received several A's my last few years in college and have taken post-bacc classes (including prereqs that I have retaken at a community college) and made A's in those. I am just nervous that my GPA, regardless of how much I brought it up, is still not impressive. I have about 3,100 hours as an emergency room scribe where I worked directly for PAs, 100 hours as a medical assistant, and I am also an anatomy and physiology/general bio tutor. I have around 200 hours of volunteering and research in an immunology lab as well. I just need advice on anything else that I can do to make my application stand out; maybe I am giving myself too much anxiety over this. 

Guest HopeToBePAC

GPA might hold you back from some schools, but a 3.41 cumulative is really not that bad. It would be the science GPA that might hinder you. Moving on to PCE, it seems like the large chunk of yours comes from scribing, which is not accepted by all PA schools. Only some will. The tutoring and research is a bonus, so good job there. You're gonna wanna apply smart, meaning apply to schools that accept scribing for sure. Top off your application with a strong GRE score and personal statement so you can land an interview. Don't be anxious; you got this! Good luck 🙂 

I agree with @HopeToBePAC; know your strengths and weaknesses. My strategy for my second year applying was to only apply to schools I knew I realistically had a shot at plus one "reach," school. It paid off. Apply to schools that accept scribing hours, ideally have matriculating GPA averages similar to yours, and have the same or similar mission as you. 

Is there a reason you only have 100 MA hours? Will that be going up by the time you apply? If you can, I'd keep adding to that over these next few months instead of scribing. 

Awesome job on all the progress you've made

I was only able to receive 100 MA hours because the clinic that I was working at was a pretty toxic environment for me. It was a good opportunity because it was work as a non certified MA, but their method of training was not organized and the environment was so stressful that I didn't think the MA hours were worth the stress that I was experiencing. I ended up going back to scribing because I felt that I was learning more in regards to clinical presentation, treatment, etc. My top choice (Wingate) highly regards scribing as patient care experience, so I was lucky with that😀. Thank you for your feedback!

Archived