Retaking the GRE

After studying 3 months for the GRE, I ended up with Q 149, V 147, A 4.0. I was very disappointed when i got this score because I felt like I had did pretty well after the test was over. I went ahead and applied last cycle (Texas schools) and did not get in. For this next cycle I just focused on getting more PCE and higher GPA and just brushed that GRE score aside. Even though it is low I guess I just felt that schools don't really focus on GRE score as long as you don't do horrible on it. Now I feel like maybe I should try and retake it but I just don't know if it is worth the time and money to get 4 points higher you know? (If i could even get that much higher with not having a lot of time to prepare and being in my last semester of undergrad). With all things considered, do you think it is even worth to try and take it again or do you feel that the GRE doesn't carry that much weight? 

Not an expert, just an accepted student, but I think it depends on the school. From what I've seen, some are GRE/GPA heavy, others are experience heavy. You can usually get a feel for this by looking at their website or talking to current students. 

For me, my dream school said on their website (I had to do some digging actually. Found this in the FAQ section) that they expect successful applicants to be in the 50th percentile or better for every section. So, even though the general consensus on the forum is that a 300+ score is sufficient, I knew that I still had to get my math score up to feel confident applying to this particular school. 

Depending on the list of schools you're applying to, I think the time/money/effort could be worth it

As an accepted student as well, I do feel having a GRE score >300 will help your chances. I think <300 just means extra compensation on your part (in your application and potentially during interviews, as well) to make up for a lower GRE. Your score is not bad, per se, but most applicants (at least on here) try to strive for at least a 300. In some schools, I think the GRE could very well serve as a "weed-out" factor for people to invite to an interview.

However, if you already have a great GPA (>3.75) and great patient care hours, I don't think you need to worry too much about retaking the GRE. If your PCE and GPA are average, however, I would highly recommend taking the GRE so you can stand above the crowd a bit more!

1 hour ago, ecb220 said:

In some schools, I think the GRE could very well serve as a "weed-out" factor for people to invite to an interview.

Yeah, I was afraid of this after finding out my school expects all scores to be above average. Pretty much the only reason I retook it but better safe than sorry. 

Archived