Ws on a transcript

Hi All,

I was in nursing school initially and got sick so was not feeling well the entire year so I withdrew  both semesters. I read that Ws count as F's.  I ended up going back to school for respiratory therapy. I have been a successful respiratory therapist, I'm actively involved in my community, and have well over 4,000 patient contact hours. I plan to take my GRE in March or April.  How much will the Ws hurt my chance? Would it help if I wrote about it in my personal statement? 

Hi All,

I was in nursing school initially and got sick so was not feeling well the entire year so I withdrew  both semesters. I read that Ws count as F's.  I ended up going back to school for respiratory therapy. I have been a successful respiratory therapist, I'm actively involved in my community, and have well over 4,000 patient contact hours. I plan to take my GRE in March or April.  How much will the Ws hurt my chance? Would it help if I wrote about it in my personal statement? 

I don’t believe a W is an F. You should check that out further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ws are not calculated into your caspa gpa, however WFs are calculated as Fs. 

If they were just Ws, I don't think it will kill your chances. Being that this was at least a few years ago and having academic and professional success since then will certainly help your case. Be prepared to talk about it and explain what happened and why, what you learned from it and why your better for it etc. I had a W in Bio 1 as a freshman, and it came up in 1/3 of my interviews. It may be good to address in your personal statement, but I would keep it brief and professional, focusing on how you grew through the situation and why you are better prepared to succeed now. 

Guest HopeToBePAC

Ws are not the same things as Fs, and they won't impact your GPA, unless you withdrew-failing (WF), which I believe do impact your GPA. 

My friend had 2 failed classes (worse than Ws) on her transcript but was able to get accepted into PA school (but she did re-take these classes and get As). So a few Ws aren't the end of the world, and you still have a chance, especially if you are able to shine in other parts of your application. 

I would mention these withdrawls someplace on your application, whether that's in your personal statement or the additional info section. Explain why they occurred and how you bettered yourself perhaps through the rest of your grades. 

Hi! I have several W’s on my transcript as well and that was one of my biggest concerns about my application. While W’s don’t affect your GPA, they are frowned upon. Because of this, I addressed the W’s in my personal statement just to try to cover myself. I ended up getting accepted even with the W’s so don’t stress too much! Best of luck!

Archived