Is my schools attrition rate normal???

Hey!

Thanks for taking the time to chime in :) I’m in a program that was recently acreditied and changed there entire staff, program director, and curriculum just weeks before my class matriculated in. Since, we’ve been bullied by teachers, told we weren’t prepared through our undergraduate work,  (it’s a 5 year program with the last two a masters in PA) and now we’ve lost almost 50%  of our class of 40!  I’m so disheartened. Any words of wisdom?

Yes, an attrition rate of 50 percent is definitely not normal! Something really needs to happen at your school because that is crazy. The program that I have chosen to attend has an overall attrition rate of 3 percent and a PANCE pass rate of 100 percent over the past 5 years, and they stress keeping the attrition rate well under 5 percent! Really sorry that you and your classmates have to go through all of that! Just adds stress to an already high stress situation! Wish you all the best!

Most BS/MS programs lose a lot of students before getting into the graduate phase. I entered in as a Masters student, but I think about 30-35% of the class dropped before starting the grad portion. If people are leaving during the Masters portion of your schooling, then you should definitely be concerned

On 11/14/2018 at 8:16 PM, MCEmit said:

Yes, an attrition rate of 50 percent is definitely not normal! Something really needs to happen at your school because that is crazy. The program that I have chosen to attend has an overall attrition rate of 3 percent and a PANCE pass rate of 100 percent over the past 5 years, and they stress keeping the attrition rate well under 5 percent! Really sorry that you and your classmates have to go through all of that! Just adds stress to an already high stress situation! Wish you all the best!

Wow, I wish that was our case! The first class just took their boards and all passed. I’m inclined to believe that the second class will be equally successful. I’ve taken All the same prerequisites as the first two classes (taught by the same teachers even) and this new director seems be weeding people out. I’m not sure her motive. Maybe they didn’t have enough clinical sites to accommodate 40? In any case, thank you for sharing your stats and opinion 🙂   

On 11/15/2018 at 3:58 PM, Bf555 said:

Most BS/MS programs lose a lot of students before getting into the graduate phase. I entered in as a Masters student, but I think about 30-35% of the class dropped before starting the grad portion. If people are leaving during the Masters portion of your schooling, then you should definitely be concerned

Yes, this is the masters portion. The class profile was highly impressive. I’m talking girls that have been working for this for four years and had 4.0 GPAs were encouraged to withdrawal.

Archived