Is it OK to volunteer at a pet shelter?

Generally, I think any kind of volunteering that is demonstrated over a long enough period of time and with enough enthusiasm is a great thing on an application as long as the student's other stats are reasonable. A person with a 10-year career in healthcare doesn't need to prove her interest in people by having every inch of space on the application devoted to healthcare-related activities, especially if it's not reflective of her real life. In my experience, schools want real people in the classroom with varied interests and strengths. Someone who's been a nurse for ten years and spent four days a month of that time caring for sick and injured animals in her community obviously has a kind heart and a motivation to do more with her free time than channel surf. Who wouldn't be interested?

I think it is good/fine to include, especially if you get some other people-related volunteering on the app by the time you apply. Working with animals is definitely better than volunteering folding brochures for a non-profit or something. I had all kinds of volunteer experiences and included healthcare volunteering, people volunteering, and animal volunteering. If you're only going to have 1 kind, healthcare is probably best. I know there is a volunteer matching website if you google for it.

I think it depends on the person reading your application. I shadowed a PA who sat on the admissions board for University of Detroit Mercy's PA program and he has PA friends who are on the boards of Wayne State University, Baylor and Duke University's programs. He told me that volunteering at an animal shelter looked great in his mind. It shows compassion not only for patients but all living things (animals) and shows you have interests outside the health field as well. For him, it was a great form of volunteer work, but perhaps for others it may not be what they want. My advice is to do what YOU want, what makes you feel good. Its not a competition, and as long as you can explain how volunteering at an animal shelter benefited you, you're golden.

I definitely agree with the advice that you should do what you want. Do something you're passionate about! It sounds a bit like you're just wanting to do community service to simply check it off your application list. While that's not an ideal motivation IMO, it is a reality, but if you're doing something not medically (or even people) related, it would make more sense if you had a passion for it. I do know how tough it can be to fit everything in you want to though so good luck!

Archived