Alternate Candidate List

Hello! Has anyone been placed on the wait list (alternate candidate list) and know how many people are generally on it? Or does anyone know when I am most likely to get an acceptance call (if at all)? I imagine it varies school by school, but I am wondering what my chances are and the school I have been waitlisted at does not provide much information. Any guidance or success stories would be greatly appreciated!

I was accepted 2 weeks prior to the start date.  I had no idea that I'd been placed on an alternate list as the school never contacted me.  I assumed I wasn't accepted and so I moved on by doing what I needed to improve my application.  There were a handful of others in my class accepted off the alternate list, most were notified at some point during the summer.  So, I have no great advice other than to think about how you can improve your stats, but I do wish you luck in hearing back sooner than later!

• Administrator

I was waitlisted at 2 places, rejected outright at 2, and had one clean accept, which I took, the year I made it in.  Several plenty awesome peers made it in off the waitlist, including one of our honor graduates, a class officer, and one who is now on faculty, if I'm remembering correctly.

Not sure how many people are on the waitlist, but I'd imagine there's large differences depending on the school. I personally was pulled off mid-January for a program starting in June. I was one of the first people to be pulled off, but ~30% of my current class was waitlisted first before being accepted!

Archived