RESUME BUILDERS TO MAKE UP FOR GPA

Hi everyone! 

I am a junior at University of Nebraska and am starting to look into items to build up my resume. My science GPA is 3.57 and I am worried about it for applying to grad schools, in addition I have had some semesters with only 13 credits. What do people suggest are good ways to bump up my resume to have my GPA not be focused on as much?

Your GPA definitely seems fine! My GPA was around the same, and I received an interview to almost every program that I applied to without much of a problem If you want to do anything else to improve your chances, I'd say to continue building up PCE and apply as early as possible! Applying early probably helped out tremendously. Other than that, take your personal statement seriously and don't rush it. You should be fine.

That's a decent GPA. I would not worry too much. 

In keeping with the thread theme, people with really low GPAs need to recognize if a low GPA is your problem you need to address it directly. To borrow an analogy from academia, building your credentials for PA school is like making a three-legged stool. If your "GPA leg" is too short, and all you do it make the "experience leg" longer, the stool is still going to topple over. 

Focusing solely on building experience when your GPA is your primary problem is like buying hemorrhoid cream when you have a headache. It's nice to have, but it doesn't help where the problem is.

I would definitely research the programs you are considering. See what they value more. I would recommend different PCEs and HCEs where you get hands on experience as well as some idea of the PA profession. Shadowing is a great way to improve your resume as well. Most programs really value your contribution to the community and so I would find ways to volunteer. I also recommend reflecting on why your GPA is low (according to you) and what you learned are your weaknesses as well as how you plan to improve yourself. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that more PCE is always better. After being rejected from a school with over 3,500 hours of experience with the reason being that my PCE was not as competitive as the accepted students I learned that more is always better. And PCE was what the school mentioned over my 3.1 GPA. So I would look to find the best healthcare experience you can and get as many hours as you can. That is what makes it so tough for a recent college grad to get in to a program.

Archived