Supplies Needed For PA School?

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right thread for this. I am starting PA school in May and was wondering what current or past PA students bought for their didactic year outside of your laptop, class textbooks, and medical equipment. Did you buy a printer to print your study guides? Did you buy a bookshelf? Did you buy any supplemental books? Since my apartment comes unfurnished and I want to prepare myself as much as possible, I am wondering what kinds of furniture or other supplies are recommended for PA students. 

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

I just started PA school this last May! I personally don't print out many outlines, but there are many people in my class who like to have their notes hand printed, they all have a printer at home. The only book I bought was PANCE Prep Pearls! It's been very useful for my clinical medicine classes. I also have a desk for studying. Ultimately, how you like to study / live will determine your needs 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I only had to purchase two books, anatomy and physicial diagnosis (which is used all of didactic year). 

I purchased the medical equipment, but if you are patient you can find it for cheaper and Welch Allyn is pretty good about warrantying even used stuff, this may be dependent on the rep in the area but ours said it was okay.  

Personally, I have about 6-7 different colors for pens and stock up on highlighters!

Earplugs, never a shortage of loud people in a library.

Most of our material is from PPTs and the notes/outlines that has accumulated from our previous graduating classes.  

Our program also gives us $150 towards printing each fiscal year. Your first semester will be the most expensive as far as supplies go.

So far, thankfully, I have been doing well without the need for Pearl books, or sketchy med, etc..

LAST BUT NOT LEAST! An accordion envelope to separate notes from each class, then when I am finished with the exam for each I transfer those notes to another accordion file that holds what I don't need anymore and each file is for a different semester.  Good way to keep things organized. The one in my backpack only holds the upcoming exam's notes/handouts. 

Edited by JD2012
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Printer is a good idea for any study guides/outlines, etc you might make.  You can always print ppts or huge study guides at school if you want (for a cost of course).  I would consider a printer with a scanner for future paperwork, but there are apps like genius scan if you don't go that route.  Check out black Friday sales if you decide to buy a printer.

Desk space is important too - but you can use your kitchen table too - whatever works for your study habits really.

A whiteboard and dry erase markers might be helpful.  I used it mostly during anatomy. Nice to have something to write on and be able to erase rather than using up paper.

Guest HanSolo

Despite what everyone else told me, I didn't want to be at a "disadvantage" and not have textbooks. Let me tell you, textbooks are a complete waste of money. The only exception is perhaps a good anatomy book like Netter's. If you feel so inclined to get books, I would suggest Pance Prep Pearls, Surgical Recall, etc. Be smart - don't be like Han and end up with a massive paperweight named Harrison. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you don’t have an external hard drive or online service like mozy or Dropbox to store all of the powerpoints and notes you’ll accumulate on you need to do something like that.  My laptop was stolen during clinical rotations (from my rotation site) and I lost everything and had to beg my study group for all their stuff.

I’m a firm believer in having a good desk/chair, and making your study space well lit and comfortable. You’re going to spend hours and hours there, so spend some time thinking about what’s best for you in that space (for me it’s having a wide desk I can spread out on, multiple warm lights, an ergonomic chair, etc). 

Color printer for sure. Netters has been even more helpful that I could’ve imagined - I had it spiral bound which has come in handy especially because I like to trace and redraw from it. I handwrite notes when studying, so having somewhere to organize all those notes is important (for later PANCE studying). I’ve really liked BRS (board review series), I find them much more helpful than our assigned textbooks (I won’t be buying or renting textbooks again unless absolutely necessary). Lots of colored pens and highlighters. I bought a large whiteboard and it’s sometimes helpful for anatomy but I don’t utilize it enough. A medical bag (I just bought a simple bag off amazon), our program requires we buy specific equipment for physical exams but provided a very cheap tote bag that fell apart. I got a bag with a lot of pockets, and also a stethoscope case, which was cheap but I prefer it over using the box it came in (which most of my classmates use). 

Definitely a bookshelf. A good coffee maker (I never was much of a coffee drinker before but now need it, and definitely don’t have the time or money to go to a coffee shop every day). Also, stock up on granola bars and any food that’s quick and easy to make at home. I used to cook and meal prep and now there’s just no time. I rely on a lot of granola bars, but Instacart, daily harvest, and blue apron are also very handy. 

Edited by BaxLN
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

my onenote didn't come with the massive cloud storage that some student accounts get... so I paid for the space upgrade. All my notes are digital and sync between my comp/iPad/phone. Buy a gym membership if you don't get one through school or where you live bc you'll need the stress relief and can review stuff while you do cardio. 

• Upvote 1

Guest HanSolo

I second gym membership or whatever form of exercise. However, I don't think you should study or review while at the gym. That's your time. The notes can wait. Enjoy the mental break and listen to music, a podcast, whatever.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...