PT to PA?

Hello all,

SO, I’m 2 years out of PT school practicing in an outpatient ortho setting & have come to the revelation over the past 6 months- 1 year that I semi- hate my job? From the time that I was in undergraduate, I was always on a PT path and never really stopped to consider anything else. Here I am 2 years into what I thought would be my dream job & I find myself dreading work every day as I don’t find it challenging. Emotionally/ physically exhausting? Sure. But definitely not challenging in the sense that I don’t have the power to diagnose or even prescribe additional therapy. 

Let me add that I am $93k in debt after undergrad/ PT school and I currently work for a not for profit organization which grants me loan forgiveness in 8 years pending I continue to work full time. My current salary is right around 70k at my full time job and I also work a per diem job for extra cash so that I can afford to live :)

My question is, would it be absolutely insane for me to consider going back to school for PA? I want the opportunity to potentially work in an OR setting, prescribe meds, and feel like I’m making a real difference in people’s lives. It’s another 3 years & another 100k of added debt, so part of me thinks the idea is ridiculous, but I’m wondering if there’s anyone else out there who’s in a similar spot? I’d appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

well....if you don't where will be in 3 years? Right here.

While I find the state of corporate medicine to be very discouraging it can still be rewarding and, if done right, pay pretty well. If you aren't happy at work you probably aren't happy. I don't think we all have to just love love love what we do...if we did it wouldn't be work...but I think we have to get something affirmative out of it.

Do something even it it isn't PA school. Life is short and it just keeps getting shorter.

You live once.  If that's what you want - do it.  With your PT background, I'm sure you will be highly sought after if you wanted to stay in a related field (ortho, sports, rehab, pain, etc)...  Or during your rotations, you may fall in love with neuro-oncology, who knows?  Life is too short.  You're just starting out and you have time - I'd make the jump!

Archived