Really could use some advice/pep talk

I recently interviewed at my top choice school 2 fridays ago (which was the first round of interviews), I thought the interview went by well- during my group interview I spoke up and collaborated well and made a great personal connection with my one-on-one interviewer. After the interview they told us it could take 3-4 weeks until decisions are made and I sent hand written thank you notes to both my individual interviewer and the admissions coordinator as well as a thank you email to the group interviewer. Last friday emails went out with acceptances and I received a "thank you for interviewing but we are still in the process of making final decisions" while others got acceptances. Can anyone shed some light on what they think that might mean?

thank you

The process of admissions is complicated. I cannot speak to PA school admissions, but in undergraduate admissions we strived to create a well rounded class and accepted students that fit into the existing culture. Though it sounds like you had a stellar interview there are so many parts to an application and perhaps other aspects of you application aren't as strong. They may have several great applicants who are similar to you. Additionally admissions committees have to control for class size. If you are trying to fill a class of 30, you cannot send out 30 acceptances and be done. The best tactic would be to send out 10-20 acceptances, see who puts down a deposit, and then accept more people depending on how many spots you have left. In your case I think this is what is going on. Take their response as good news. You still have an excellent chance of being accepted!

2 minutes ago, panglossian said:

The process of admissions is complicated. I cannot speak to PA school admissions, but in undergraduate admissions we strived to create a well rounded class and accepted students that fit into the existing culture. Though it sounds like you had a stellar interview there are so many parts to an application and perhaps other aspects of you application aren't as strong. They may have several great applicants who are similar to you. Additionally admissions committees have to control for class size. If you are trying to fill a class of 30, you cannot send out 30 acceptances and be done. The best tactic would be to send out 10-20 acceptances, see who puts down a deposit, and then accept more people depending on how many spots you have left. In your case I think this is what is going on. Take their response as good news. You still have an excellent chance of being accepted!

They accept a class of 75 so I was really hoping I would be one of the lucky ones

Archived