Do all Florida schools require you to differentiate your EMT hours?

• 1 month later...

I know this may be a little late of a reply but some schools have separate forms for you to fill out your DPC hours, such as FSU with an additional to the information on CASPA. Other schools look at your CASPA to determine hours, volunteering and other related hours/experience. As far an EMT most schools do just want the hours you had only direct patient contact and not on call hours. 

38 minutes ago, AmandaPAS said:

I know this may be a little late of a reply but some schools have separate forms for you to fill out your DPC hours, such as FSU with an additional to the information on CASPA. Other schools look at your CASPA to determine hours, volunteering and other related hours/experience. As far an EMT most schools do just want the hours you had only direct patient contact and not on call hours. 

this must be a new thing. So if you are at the station for 24 hrs and get 1 call that lasts 2 hrs you only count 2 hrs, while the ER nurse working a 12 hr shift at a rural hospital seeing that same 1 patient gets to count 12 hrs. total BS. That policy was definitely not around anywhere when I applied to PA school in the early 90s. 

Unfortunately that is how they look at it now. A lot of schools view it this way. Per FSU's FAQs:

I am an EMT. Does on-call hours count for patient care experience?
No. Hours actually caring for patients will qualify for direct patient care experience. 

I have also seen this on numerous amounts of schools DPC forums. 

1 hour ago, AmandaPAS said:

Unfortunately that is how they look at it now. A lot of schools view it this way. Per FSU's FAQs:

I am an EMT. Does on-call hours count for patient care experience?
No. Hours actually caring for patients will qualify for direct patient care experience. 

I have also seen this on numerous amounts of schools DPC forums. 

I would say you are not on call if you are at work....:) On call implies from home in my book....(like a volunteer with a pager)

"I work a busy station where we do back to back calls for the whole shift". 

I would be ok with this kind of BS if they marked RNs off for time at pot lucks and on smoke breaks....

2 hours ago, johncfl said:

It would be almost impossible for me to figure out how many DPC hours I have from the countless 24 hour shifts I've worked at the Fire Department. Some shifts I run 20+ calls, other shifts I run 5. But to be able to give an honest number, I have no idea. 

honestly, I would not play this game. your time is just as valuable as an rn, rt, etc. report actual hrs at work. let them prove you were not always busy. 24 hr shifts x 10/mo x # years= hours. end of story.

1 hour ago, AmandaPAS said:

@EMEDPA I mean in all honesty, how are they even gonna know when you were actually on a call verse at the station. I'm just a student lol I can't make any of the decisions but I agree its BS. 

yup, that was my point. if a nurse can count full hours an emt or medic should too. do they tell the xray tech they can only count time actually shooting films?

Guest thatgirlonabike

I've worked on truck as an EMT/Paramedic for 7 years before applying to school.  I would never be able to figure out how much of that was driving/charting/consulting/seeing patients.  I find it quite insulting that school's are asking for this.  

Archived