Insulting Job - what are your thoughts?

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

HOSPITALIST NP or PA Needed. MUST be comfortable with all ICU procedures. Admissions Night Time Position. 9:30pm – 7:30am, 7 on 7 off. Requires taking Level 1 and Level 2 calls from 5pm – Midnight. Starting at $53/hr. 68 beds. 1 rounding team of daytime hospitalists.

680 bed facility

8 Floor rounding teams of 2 (7 on 7 off)

1 Rounding team of specialized stroke hospitalists (7 on 7 off)

1 Rounding team of orthopedic co-management hospitalists (7 on 7 off)

3 Teams of Day ICU Physicians to handle any patients transferred to ICU (7 on 7 off)

3 PA Day Transfer Center to handle unassigned admits and transfers

3 LPN Discharge Nurse Coordinators (to help prepare paperwork for physicians to discharge patients)

1 team of nocturnists PA House officers to handle patient floor calls

1 team of ICU nocturnists to care overnight for patients in ICU (5pm to 7am)

ICU: ER:

60 Beds 36 Beds

ICU covers as needed

so this is a job posting I just got

What the HECK? this is just under $100k per year for an overnight intesivitist position - would cost them $250-300k per year to get an attending to do this (oh yeah and you are responsible for all ICU procedures too) an they think $53/hour is an attractive salary??? Honestly I would never work nights again as they just wreck me - but if I were I would need to be a $150k/year or higher to even consider it. You have the sickest most ill patients as your charge and you get to do it all in the middle of the night with minimal back up. Just gets me frustrated to see hospitals make such silly offers and even worse when a PA accepts such a low ball offer........

thoughts?

While you may think it is insulting it might be a dream job to another. If the salary is too low no one will apply and it will self correct. I worked in public health for many yrs and was sometimes chided by other PAs for working for less money than my private sector friends. I saw the patients that no one else would see, and work in areas of medicine that were not available in the private sector. Money isn't everything and if this job appeals to someone so be it. It is none of my business.

as mentioned above, this is probably someone's dream job. do this for 2 years, rack up lots of procedures and log them , then get the 150k job.

cost of living there is nothing. one of my former students got an em job there working solo right out of school. 24 hr shifts, 8/mo for 100k. but he did a solo trauma thoracotomy his first yr in practice....

as mentioned above, this is probably someone's dream job. do this for 2 years, rack up lots of procedures and log them , then get the 150k job.

cost of living there is nothing. one of my former students got an em job there working solo right out of school. 24 hr shifts, 8/mo for 100k. but he did a solo trauma thoracotomy his first yr in practice....

Solo thoracotomy? Holy crap.. Had your student had practice w the procedure before? have you ever done any?

he and I had both assisted them on trauma rotations. I have never done 1 solo but probably could. have never done a c-section either but have 1st assisted many and am sure I could do one if I had to. I even took the optional c-section practical lab when I took adv. life support in obstetrics a few months ago.

Archived