Breaking a lease early?

I feel like I can't be the only person in this situation, but I also feel like its a unique one... I started a one year lease in June this year, but I'm hoping to attend a program across my state that starts in January. I haven't spoken with my leasing office yet because I'm just not sure how to approach the conversation. Has anyone else had success with this without getting charged for breaking a lease? I want to avoid this as much as possible, but I'm also not going to turn down an opportunity that will impact the rest of my life if it comes down to it. 

Thoughts? 

Happens all the time. You can offer to do the leg work and put ads up on CL or whatever for them if it makes you feel better. Don't put too much thought it into. 

Read your lease and see what it says.

Even if you're on the hook for the whole thing some landlords will say as long as you give 60 days and they find a new renter they'll let you out.  Some might let you find a subletter.  Some might even be nice enough to just say 'you're out as long as you give the required notice'.

All you can do is ask.  Worst case scenario you're on the hook for the whole lease which sucks financially but honestly that's why landlords have leases.  They technically don't have any obligation to help you out but it'd sure be nice if they did.

I just renewed my lease in August and was sure to opt for the 2,000 fee to break the lease. My complex gave 1 of two options...either pay the rent while you don’t live there (and hope you can find someone to take over) or pay a 2,000 fee to break the lease. I chose the 2,000 rote simply because that’s a lot less burden if I happened to move away for school. 

As stated earlier, talk to them sooner rather than later because in the end they have the power

Archived