Special Olympics Volunteering

Guest UVAPAC

I just had a quick question:

I have been volunteering (medical) at the special olympics for the past several years.  I was discussing it with a physician I work with and he asked "who is supervising you while working there?"  I said, "No one."  The volunteers consist of myself and other PA-C, and many Paramedics/EMT's.

My question is:  Are we able to do this?  If there is an adverse outcome, am I practicing outside of my scope?

99% is giving out ice-packs, applying band-aids, etc.  Question of fracture/dislocation, sutures, or any more serious medical event go out by ambulance.

35 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Check you state laws. Some make exceptions for volunteer work. Some don't.  had the same issue when I volunteered for  Tough Mudders

I am just curious... in whatever state you reside was it "ok" to volunteer medically at a tough mudder?

I did first aid volunteering for the Red Cross and we covered tons of Special Olympics events, however not sure if this is the same since I was through the Red Cross. Basically we had a first aid class at the Red Cross when you joined and we were covered up to the highest level of that training as a first aid worker. So I wasn't working as a PA, even though I am a PA, if that makes sense. If I gave actual medical advice or performed any procedures beyond simple first aid, I'd be overstepping my bounds and be liable for anything that happened but as long as I kept everything to first aid I was covered. 

24 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Texas. Yes. The medical tent has an ER physician on site and the Tough Mudder people provide liability coverage for volunteers

Texas Occupational Code:

Sec. 204.2045. VOLUNTEER CARE AND SERVICES PERFORMED DURING DISASTER. (a) The supervision and delegation requirements of this chapter and Subtitle B do not apply to medical tasks performed by a physician assistant:

(1) during a disaster under the state emergency management plan adopted under Section 418.042, Government Code;

(2) during a disaster declared by the governor or United States government; or

(3) as a volunteer for a charitable organization or at a public or private event, including a religious event, sporting event, community event, or health fair.

(a-1) This section does not apply to medical tasks performed by a physician assistant for compensation or other remuneration.

(b) A physician assistant performing medical tasks under this section:

(1) is entitled to the immunity from liability provided by Section 74.151, Civil Practice and Remedies Code; and

(2) is acting within the scope of the physician assistant's license for purposes of immunity under Section 84.004(c), Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

(c) A physician assistant may perform tasks described by this section:

(1) under the supervision of any physician who is also performing volunteer work in the disaster, for the charitable organization, or at the public or private event; or

(2) without the supervision of a physician, if a physician is not available to provide supervision.

(d) A physician assistant employed by the United States government or licensed in another state may perform medical tasks in this state in circumstances described by Subsection (a)(1) or (2) without holding a license in this state.

Tough Mudders, despite their recent administrative problems, raise money for veteran's causes including PTSD treatment. I'm retired Army. Volunteering to help my brothers and sisters who served.

They pay the ER doc. They had never had a PA volunteer until I showed up so they basically let me do my own thing. Most of what we deal with is heat and dehydration. Had a few lacs to sew. Had a few sprains and one shoulder dislocation. One participant had an MI and coded on the course as far from the medical tent as he could be and still be on the grounds. Needless to say the ER doc took that one.

Archived