Salaries

9 hours ago, jmj11 said:

It would be interesting to hear stories of PAs who passed up large salaries to stay in or move to situations with less money but greater personal satisfaction. 

I passed up $100/hr with full bennies to do full time rural EM practice for less money, but a lot more freedom, autonomy, and satisfaction.

A buddy of mine who retired from the Army a few years ago pulled in over $300k doing contract physicals for the VA, but he worked his ass off...more hours than I will be willing to work after 20+ years in the Army. He did buy a porshe in cash tho, so to each their own.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:31 AM, SR0525 said:

Currently on rotations and I’ve been talking to some classmates about what their preceptors make or claim to. I’ve started hearing some really high numbers and was wondering what is the highest salary any of you have ever received, heard or seen for a PA/NP.

When I say high numbers, I mean close to or more than physician salary. Doing the math in my head it all just doesn’t add up to me. 

As a PA, what precepture's you have to take to get into nero?

On 7/28/2018 at 5:31 AM, SR0525 said:

F349516C-684A-4A88-BCCD-2B0AEE566587.gif

It is very important not to get lured in by the extremes.   The top one percent of any profession are not who you should be making a decision on.  I know a neurosurgeon hat makes 2 million - that is NOT the norm and that has more to do with him owning a successful and very large practice.   He doesn’t even work clinically anymore except rarely.  But that would be misleading if someone said that’s what a neurosurgeon makes.  

I think this is a very helpful thread because it gives a lot of important anecdotes about what’s possible.  But I think most people need to look at median salary, and the 10th, 25th,  75th, and 90th percentiles (what the MGMA publishes).   By definition, the vast majorities will fall in that range and that’s what you should expect as compensation going into a field.  If you go in thinking making seven figures is easily doable, you’re likely to be very disappointed. 

Archived