Does a B student have a chance?

Hi everyone! So I just received my first rejection, and I'm not gunna lie, it stung more than I thought it would. I'm starting to worry about my chances overall.

I have a 3.3 cgpa/3.19 sgpa, which I know is low, but I feel like the rest of my application is strong overall. I know there have been students who have been accepted with gpa's lower than this, but it seems like those students have retaken almost all their classes and gotten A's to make up for past bad grades. In my case, I've never gotten a grade below (1) C+, I just have a lower gpa because of my freshman/sophomore year I got mostly all B's/B-'s (this is due to extreme family health circumstances which is explained in my app). My question is-unless I retake classes and get all A's, will I have a chance? At this point nearly all of my application consists of B's. At this point in my life I cannot afford to take more classes. I'm not using that as an excuse, that's just my reality right now. Any advice/encouragement would be greatly appreciated!!

I should mention that I do have an upward trend with my last 4 semesters being >3.5 gpa. A's in physics 1 and 2, A's in 8 credits of EMT-B classes, A in anatomy, B in Physiology, A in another upper level science. Gen chem 1&2 are B-/C+ and Bio 1&2 are B/B-, these are my four biggest worries right now...

At the end of the day it doesn't matter WHY you have the GPA you do, that's what schools have to evaluate you and compare you to other applicants.

Unless you have several years of high quality HCE/PCE....well.  That's usually what compensates for a low GPA.

Another big factor is WHICH programs you applied to.  

Honestly there just isn't enough information here to give any advice (obviously taking more classes would be helpful but you can't...) or encouragement.  All you can do is wait and see what happens at this point.

Thank you both for your input. I applied very broadly to 'realistic' schools. I currently have 3500 PCE hours, but during this next year I will be working full time to gain more PCE  and shadowing hours, my main concern is just that I cannot retake classes. I understand that it is likely I will need to reapply, so I'm hoping more hours/experience can be enough for next cycle if need be. 

Archived