Should I just take job or wait?

I'm a newly graduated PA student, waiting to take the PANCE. I have had a few job offers locally, in this state where I went to PA school. But I have not heard anything back from jobs in my home state (MA), where my family and long term boyfriend currently live. It seems like MA is a very competitive place to work, sadly. I'm a little uncertain about what to do... I could just go with a job in this state and work here for a year or so, and then try to re-locate. But I'm starting to feel really unhappy, especially since I've been stuck out here by myself for PA school for the past 2-3 years. 

I'm wondering if I should just get certified in MA, and wait for an opening somewhere... but that might take a while. I'm worried that a long-ish employment gap will look bad to potential employers. If it might take me anywhere between 1-10 months to get something in MA, I feel like it looks a lot better to have work experience during that time instead of just a blank gap. If I take a job offer in my current state, it seems like I'll have to stick it out for at least one year, based on recommendations I've seen posted here. I'm really grateful for the offer, I just wish it was in a different place. I'm getting a little stir-crazy here. 

I'm not sure what to do... if I should take the job here and keep looking in MA for the next year, or if I should just wait and hold out for a job in MA hopefully within 6 months. I'd probably end up working in urgent care here - not my dream specialty, but figured it's useful for general skills. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it! 

There is no easy choice here but ask yourself what you think the right thing to do is. Most employers are looking for long term employees and recruiting, hiring, and training someone into a practice or system, particularly as a new grad, costs time and money. Is it fair to an employer to take a job knowing it is only a place holder until you find what you really want?

If your family and long term boyfriend are in MA....go there and get the job you want. Be close to your family and friends.

Devil's advocate:  personally I can't imagine affording to not work for 10 months.  I have 3 months between gradation and my start date (set up long before graduation) and I'm wishing I could get started even sooner if licensing/credentialing cooperates.  Just something to keep in mind.  You don't want 6 months to turn into a year and then have no one willing to hire someone who is 1 yr out from school with no work experience.

Its a fair point...folks gotta eat. However lets think outside the box a bit a see if there is a better plan than misleading an employer.

Network...big time. Call everyone back home that might know anyone or anything that may help in your job hunt. Call an agency and explain your situation and see if they can find you work for a while until you find the right job. Call hospitals and clinics and make direct inquiries. Probably 50% of the positions out there aren't advertised. Send letters (you know paper, words, a stamp ) with a letter of interest to every potential employer in the area where you want to be. Reach out to the MA state PA society and see if they have any ideas. 

Do some grunt work....finding the right job when you limit yourself geographically, particularly if the market is tight, takes leg work and planning and persistence. Be creative and make your own luck! Good luck!

There's been good advice offered thus far, and it sounds like you still have some time before signing any contract. If you have loans, they will likely enter repayment soon, so keep that in mind. 

My two cents are to look for and take the job that will be the best first job for you, wherever or whatever that may be. Once you get your bearings and first job jitters out of the way, you can reevaluate. Restricting yourself to a certain geographic area does limit your options, especially as a new grad, but with some sheer willpower and networking, you can hopefully end up where you want.

Additionally, people often quote this rule of thumb regarding employment:

You can choose two of three: location, pay, or specialty.

Good luck with PANCE and your job search!

Guest HanSolo

I would say just move to MA and begin networking locally. It can be scary to not take the "sure thing" right now, but life is too short to not be around your family/significant other. Don't worry about the resume gap. 

On 5/31/2018 at 8:00 PM, thinkertdm said:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Here in CT there's an awesome brewery named "Two Roads" after this poem. Great poem, great beer, great advice haha

Archived