Northwestern 2018-2019 Cycle

Hello everyone! Congrats on all those who received interview invites! I got an email today for my invite - September 12th. I feel like I'm in the latter of the interviewing groups!

I will be coming from California. Anyone have advice on which airport to fly in, locals hotels, rent a car or just uber? 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Dee L. said:

Hello everyone! Congrats on all those who received interview invites! I got an email today for my invite - September 12th. I feel like I'm in the latter of the interviewing groups!

I will be coming from California. Anyone have advice on which airport to fly in, locals hotels, rent a car or just uber? 

Thank you!

When was your app complete?

4 hours ago, MeganZoet said:

Is it basically worthless applying now so late in their application cycle?

Last year I completed my application on the deadline and got an interview invite in November. So it's not totally hopeless. I ended up getting waitlisted, though.

This year I'm interviewing on August 27th after being verified on June 24th.

17 hours ago, Dee L. said:

Thank you!

Congrats! ORD and MDW are both good options to fly into. Go with whichever is cheapest. If you plan on staying IN the city, uber and public transportation will probably be your best bet (even to and from the airport as there are trains that run to both). Chicago is pretty accessible so don’t feel like you need to stay in a hotel SUPER close to campus if they’re expensive. I live a couple miles north of downtown in Lakeview and the train to campus takes about 20 minutes so don’t be afraid to look farther out. PM me if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Edited by bobacat

20 hours ago, Dee L. said:

Thank you!

Congrats on the interview! You can fly into midway or ohare. If midway you can take the orange line into the city. If ohare you can take the blue line train. I would suggest buying a ventra pass when you arrive. There is a $5 nonrefundable charge to buy the pass. It will make taking public transportation easier. The L trains (blue/orange lines) costs 2.50 per ride. Buses cost 2.25. If you get the pass the first interchange costs 0.25 and second interchange is free within the two hours time. Or Uber or lyft if you don’t mind more transportation costs. There are tons of hotels and Airbnbs in the city. That’s just depend on your own price range. It will be more expensive in the area that’s next to northwestern. Enjoy Chicago!

18 hours ago, bobacat said:

Congrats! ORD and MDW are both good options to fly into. Go with whichever is cheapest. If you plan on staying IN the city, uber and public transportation will probably be your best bet (even to and from the airport as there are trains that run to both). Chicago is pretty accessible so don’t feel like you need to stay in a hotel SUPER close to campus if they’re expensive. I live a couple miles north of downtown in Lakeview and the train to campus takes about 20 minutes so don’t be afraid to look farther out. PM me if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Great! That's really good advice. Awesome, thank you so much! I will definitely PM you with any other questions!

15 hours ago, MyPath said:

Congrats on the interview! You can fly into midway or ohare. If midway you can take the orange line into the city. If ohare you can take the blue line train. I would suggest buying a ventra pass when you arrive. There is a $5 nonrefundable charge to buy the pass. It will make taking public transportation easier. The L trains (blue/orange lines) costs 2.50 per ride. Buses cost 2.25. If you get the pass the first interchange costs 0.25 and second interchange is free within the two hours time. Or Uber or lyft if you don’t mind more transportation costs. There are tons of hotels and Airbnbs in the city. That’s just depend on your own price range. It will be more expensive in the area that’s next to northwestern. Enjoy Chicago!

Thank you so much for all the info! Coming from a place that (unfortunately) does not emphasize on public transportation, trains can be daunting and intimidating (I know, that sounds so silly lol). I've heard so many great things about Chicago, I am beyond excited. Thank you again!

On 8/11/2018 at 6:12 AM, CAPrePA94 said:

Hey Dee L. I am from San Diego! What part of California are you from? What I did was fly into MDW. My interview is on Monday, and I am staying at the Doubletree on Ohio St. Since you are coming in from the airport, I recommend finding a hotel close to the interview spot and arriving a day or two early to acclimate to the time change :). Best of luck to you!

Hi! I will be coming from Orange County! When is your interview date? My date will be on a Wednesday and I found flights cheaper flying into O'Hare on that day (from what I heard, it's usually cheaper flying in MDW?). Thank you for your advice!! It has been so comforting getting all this support! Good luck on your interview!!! May I reach out to you to get advice regarding the interview process afterwards? 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, Dee L. said:

Hi! I will be coming from Orange County! When is your interview date? My date will be on a Wednesday and I found flights cheaper flying into O'Hare on that day (from what I heard, it's usually cheaper flying in MDW?). Thank you for your advice!! It has been so comforting getting all this support! Good luck on your interview!!! May I reach out to you to get advice regarding the interview process afterwards? 

Sure! I'll talk about logistical information ? They explain how the day goes pretty well in the beginning!

• 2 weeks later...