Include in app that I was accepted into med school?

So last year I was accepted into medical school and decided to decline my acceptance after learning more about the PA profession. Needless to say it was an extremely difficult decision to make considering I had an acceptance and was gambling on my ability to get into PA school.. but here we are and I couldn't be happier with my choice/ have no regrets. I immediately registered for pre-reqs and got a new job to obtain patient care hours and up until this point hadn't considered omitting these details from my application, however I have recently been advised that there is the possibility of adcoms viewing it as indecision on my behalf and thus become a red flag.

The way I view it is that it is part of my story, although I wasn't always certain what role I wanted to play in medicine, I am now positive that becoming a PA is what I wholeheartedly want to pursue and I was willing to make unique sacrifices in order to make that a possibility. I feel this experience gives me the ability to answer why I want to become a PA. My question is, do you think including this detail is beneficial to me in my application or that it could have the potential to rub people the wrong way and I'd be shooting myself in the foot? Any feedback is helpful.

I’m not sure if there is a specific spot in the applications for a medical school acceptance. However, if they ask I think you should say you were admitted. Better to admit it and have an answer as opposed to a lie and get caught.

Not saying it is a lie by omission.

2 hours ago, SR0525 said:

I’m not sure if there is a specific spot in the applications for a medical school acceptance. However, if they ask I think you should say you were admitted. Better to admit it and have an answer as opposed to a lie and get caught.

Not saying it is a lie by omission.

There’s a spot to input MCAT test scores if you’ve taken one.. i don’t know if it is mandatory to put the score though or optional. I think If I have to input the score then it’s better that I explain why I ever took the MCAT oppose to leaving it up in the air for their interpretation. On the other hand if I don’t actually have to input the MCAT test scores I still plan on mildly mentioning it in my personal statement because it it a huge part of how I found out I wanted to become a PA. 

1 hour ago, Funnybr said:

There’s a spot to input MCAT test scores if you’ve taken one.. i don’t know if it is mandatory to put the score though or optional. I think If I have to input the score then it’s better that I explain why I ever took the MCAT oppose to leaving it up in the air for their interpretation. On the other hand if I don’t actually have to input the MCAT test scores I still plan on mildly mentioning it in my personal statement because it it a huge part of how I found out I wanted to become a PA. 

If it doesn’t make you more competitive don’t report it. It’s not mandatory. Only address if and when asked. Cause it will be asked. 

Thats just my 2 cents. Maybe some on an adcom can give you more insight. 

That'll probably be a positive with the way some of these adcoms run their PA programs...

Cornell loves high GPA's and MCAT/GRE. I'd throw in Temple, PCOM, Arcadia, and Yale. All programs that don't mind healthcare experience, but have a high GPA acceptance rate would be intrigued by you rejecting medical school.

But this would only be for secondaries, idk if I would mention that in CASPA, as it could be negatively perceived by other schools.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what the others have mentioned. If it isn't mandatory to disclose the information, why put yourself in the pot hole. I have attended a few interviews this past cycle and more than a handful asked the "why PA, not MD" question -- so, this can possibly be the ideal spot to mention it. When asked about it, simply be honest.

Archived