Is the EM residency program worth it?

Hi

I am graduating soon this summer and really wanted to do EM. I am aware that it's hard to get into EM as new graduate. I did already got job offer in Cardiology since some people said that it may help me to get into EM in the future.

But if I know for sure that EM is what I want to do, should I just go straight into a residency program? It will suck to be broke for another year since I have to support my family and pay back my loans. But most residency seem to have loan deferment.

My question is, after a year of residency in EM, will I get a boast in salary the next year when I look for job? Will I be considered as an 'experienced' EM person and what can I expect for the average pay? Does it really make a big difference in my EM job search if I go into a EM residency program right after graduation as opposed to working a couple years in Cardiology and then apply for a EM job?

Any advice will help. Anyone who had done a residency program out there?

Thanks

Hi

I am graduating soon this summer and really wanted to do EM. I am aware that it's hard to get into EM as new graduate. I did already got job offer in Cardiology since some people said that it may help me to get into EM in the future.

But if I know for sure that EM is what I want to do, should I just go straight into a residency program? It will suck to be broke for another year since I have to support my family and pay back my loans. But most residency seem to have loan deferment.

My question is, after a year of residency in EM, will I get a boast in salary the next year when I look for job? Will I be considered as an 'experienced' EM person and what can I expect for the average pay? Does it really make a big difference in my EM job search if I go into a EM residency program right after graduation as opposed to working a couple years in Cardiology and then apply for a EM job?

Any advice will help. Anyone who had done a residency program out there?

Thanks

It seems that your odds of getting a job would be greater than a residency slot. We had 3 students get EM jobs directly out of school. With that being said, I would jump all over a residency slot if the right opportunity came along. Unfortunately, there are no options in my area.

It seems that your odds of getting a job would be greater than a residency slot. We had 3 students get EM jobs directly out of school. With that being said, I would jump all over a residency slot if the right opportunity came along. Unfortunately, there are no options in my area.

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

so to make it as shortest as I can..

was out of school 8 months ago..applied to 2 different ER around and hardly got one after strong recommendations from some MDs. I stayed in the job from Jan till 2 days ago when I have been called by ER Chief stating that they are not able to keep me!!!!!

my question was what what happened ?? did I do something wrong ?? Answer was NOO, we feel you progressed over the past 4 months but you didn't reach the level that we looking for!!!. Actually he offered me a good recommendation to any future job and promised to hire back when I get enough exp.!!! He was asked me (if I don't mind) to continue the remaining of my shifts ,which is another 3 weeks ,before they take me off.

Now I started to think about joining Post-grad program to sharpen my skills and wonder how difficult to get in one of those 18 residences? My GPA wasn't the greatest at school (below 3.0) board score 440 or around. I checked and saw programs accept 1-3 students ,so I Guess the admission will be not easy...Any thoughts....

Can you afford to do a residency? They pay less then a real ED job. Is it worth a year or two making less but learning more then you might in 10 years of ED shifts in a non-teaching environment?

Do you REALLY want to do EM for the rest of your career? It's a tough tough .....tough job. I worked Noon to Midnight <often till 2:00 am at the nightly behest of the ER doc on duty> Friday Sat Sun Monday. Terrible hours and VERY high stress. Not to mention massive liability. The ED is really Russian Roulette, it's only a matter of time before that one patient comes in that nails you. Unfortunately there is so much acuity, you can do everything right and still end up on the wrong end of the deposition mic. Personally I think every PA <and doc> should be forced to spend at least 2 full years in the ED. I honestly believe you can't know what sick really is until you see what sick in the ED looks like. An ED residency would be helpful for your entire career but it is a BIG commitment. So make really sure you are ready to commit to a career of high stress, long shifts on weekends and holidays.

If you do choose to do a residency in the ED, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and make sure it is a strong teaching institution. Some of these "residencies" are really just trying to find cheap labor in a busy ED. Just fyi.

• 4 weeks later...

As an about to be new grad, even with 13 years of paramedic experience, I would give about anything to do an EM residency. I was accepted at a residency in the midwest, but had to turn down the opportunity due to family reasons.

The program is 18 months long, the pay is crap, but the opportunity would have been invaluable. I was a paramedic at the university hospital where the program was, and everybody I spoke with said that other than the name tags, the MD/PA residents were identical. For all intent purposes, you are treated EXACTLY like the physician residents. Same classes, same patient load, same off service rotation, same expectations. Even though that seems kind of daunting, it shows how dedicated this program is to having PA's working in the ER.

What really attracted me to the program was not just the main and pediatric ER experience, but also getting experience outside of the ER. There were scheduled rotations in surgery, ortho, cardiology, ICU and the burn unit. Even if I am able to land a good ER job when I graduate, getting that kind of experience is not likely to happen.

I want to work in a main ER, to be challenged and have the opportunity to expand my knowledge and abilities. In my humble opinion, the best way to do that is through a good EM residency. As others have said, if you want to work in emergency med, and can afford the pay cut and time, I think it can be an invaluable experience. Will it get you a higher paying job when you graduate, or guarantee you a better job? Probably not, but it will make you a better PA.

As an about to be new grad, even with 13 years of paramedic experience, I would give about anything to do an EM residency. I was accepted at a residency in the midwest, but had to turn down the opportunity due to family reasons.

The program is 18 months long, the pay is crap, but the opportunity would have been invaluable. I was a paramedic at the university hospital where the program was, and everybody I spoke with said that other than the name tags, the MD/PA residents were identical. For all intent purposes, you are treated EXACTLY like the physician residents. Same classes, same patient load, same off service rotation, same expectations. Even though that seems kind of daunting, it shows how dedicated this program is to having PA's working in the ER.

What really attracted me to the program was not just the main and pediatric ER experience, but also getting experience outside of the ER. There were scheduled rotations in surgery, ortho, cardiology, ICU and the burn unit. Even if I am able to land a good ER job when I graduate, getting that kind of experience is not likely to happen.

I want to work in a main ER, to be challenged and have the opportunity to expand my knowledge and abilities. In my humble opinion, the best way to do that is through a good EM residency. As others have said, if you want to work in emergency med, and can afford the pay cut and time, I think it can be an invaluable experience. Will it get you a higher paying job when you graduate, or guarantee you a better job? Probably not, but it will make you a better PA.

I am now a believer, I haven't always been. I used to think it was just cheap slave labor (some of them still are, make sure you look at the rotations before signing on the like!) If it checks out and you can do it, do it. Our residents rotate through Children's level 1 ED/trauma unit, ortho trauma surgery, trauma surgery, anesthesia, IR, etc. They get FAST trained.

ALL of that stuff you'll likely never get to do if you just work in an ED. They all get multiple job offers for more money than new grads by far. Residency trained PA's are becoming more and more sought after.

Pat

I am now a believer, I haven't always been. I used to think it was just cheap slave labor (some of them still are, make sure you look at the rotations before signing on the like!) If it checks out and you can do it, do it. Our residents rotate through Children's level 1 ED/trauma unit, ortho trauma surgery, trauma surgery, anesthesia, IR, etc. They get FAST trained.

ALL of that stuff you'll likely never get to do if you just work in an ED. They all get multiple job offers for more money than new grads by far. Residency trained PA's are becoming more and more sought after.

Pat

Pat

Absolutely it is about the interview. EM docs aren't known as being the brightest bulbs academically and tend to look at folks who are adequately trained (of course), but more importantly have the drive and determination along with the right personality to benefit from it.

Pat

Absolutely it is about the interview. EM docs aren't known as being the brightest bulbs academically and tend to look at folks who are adequately trained (of course), but more importantly have the drive and determination along with the right personality to benefit from it.

Pat

Archived