Im an EMT, i had this call the other day, wanted to get your guys' input

ALS Ambulance and ALS Fire Engine arrive on scene at the same time to residence for a reported "Diff Breather". At front door is reporting party(patient's daughter) directing crew into the kitchen. Crew enters kitchen to find 57 year old male lying left lateral in mild to moderate distress. Patient is awake and tracking. Patient is able to answer questions and states "I had trouble breathing in, I passed out and went down to the floor. Its never happened before."

Daughter reports "He was playing racket ball earlier and has had a gradual onset of difficulty breathing since playing. Patient has no medical Hx, no allergies and no meds. 911 was called when patient passed out about 10 minutes ago and started shaking. Patient started to wake up when EMS arrived."

Patient denies any other pain/Discomfort, nausea/Vomitting, no other complaints

------Initial Assessment---------------------------

GCS=E4,V5,M6(15) Pulse(Carotid Only)=132 Weak/Irregular

Automated Blood Pressure=Unreadable Manual Blood Pressure=UnReadable.

Respirations= 30/min and Shallow SPO2=94% RA

Lung Sounds=Clear BiLaterally

Skins= Cyanotic, Moist, Cool. Pupils= PERRL. Cap Refill= Below 2 Sec.

ECG=A-Fib w/o Ectopy 12-LEAD=Non-Stemi.

-----------------------------------------------------

Administered oxygen NRB, SPO2=94% NRB

IV 18G left AC NS Flowing

Positioned Patient Semi-Fowler's

Patient states- "Thanks guys your the best....PAUSES..... I think im getting worse"

At this point patients skin color from clavicle level up turns blue. Patient passess out and pupils dilate fully. Patient goes into PEA Arrest. At this time a newly presenting stiff mass has become visible at patients epigastric area. ACLS is started. ET-Tube is placed. Patient transported code3 to the hospital where rescusitation efforts are later stopped.

ALS Ambulance and ALS Fire Engine arrive on scene at the same time to residence for a reported "Diff Breather". At front door is reporting party(patient's daughter) directing crew into the kitchen. Crew enters kitchen to find 57 year old male lying left lateral in mild to moderate distress. Patient is awake and tracking. Patient is able to answer questions and states "I had trouble breathing in, I passed out and went down to the floor. Its never happened before."

Daughter reports "He was playing racket ball earlier and has had a gradual onset of difficulty breathing since playing. Patient has no medical Hx, no allergies and no meds. 911 was called when patient passed out about 10 minutes ago and started shaking. Patient started to wake up when EMS arrived."

Patient denies any other pain/Discomfort, nausea/Vomitting, no other complaints

------Initial Assessment---------------------------

GCS=E4,V5,M6(15) Pulse(Carotid Only)=132 Weak/Irregular

Automated Blood Pressure=Unreadable Manual Blood Pressure=UnReadable.

Respirations= 30/min and Shallow SPO2=94% RA

Lung Sounds=Clear BiLaterally

Skins= Cyanotic, Moist, Cool. Pupils= PERRL. Cap Refill= Below 2 Sec.

ECG=A-Fib w/o Ectopy 12-LEAD=Non-Stemi.

-----------------------------------------------------

Administered oxygen NRB, SPO2=94% NRB

IV 18G left AC NS Flowing

Positioned Patient Semi-Fowler's

Patient states- "Thanks guys your the best....PAUSES..... I think im getting worse"

At this point patients skin color from clavicle level up turns blue. Patient passess out and pupils dilate fully. Patient goes into PEA Arrest. At this time a newly presenting stiff mass has become visible at patients epigastric area. ACLS is started. ET-Tube is placed. Patient transported code3 to the hospital where rescusitation efforts are later stopped.

Leads me more towards ruptured AAA or aortic dissection- the dissection could've ripped down to the aortic root

Leads me more towards ruptured AAA or aortic dissection- the dissection could've ripped down to the aortic root

With whom do i ask about the follow up?

Generally with cases like this, the ED will inquire the medical examiner office for final results, provided that in the ED there wasn't something done quickly like a FAST to look for free fluid in the belly which would definitely point more towards rupture. One way to help with terminating efforts of resuscitation is to look for any cardiac activity on ultrasound, which would also give a gross idea as to what may have happened.

In short, ask the ED. There's likely to be people there who take enough active interest in it since it's an interesting case to know more of what happened.

Generally with cases like this, the ED will inquire the medical examiner office for final results, provided that in the ED there wasn't something done quickly like a FAST to look for free fluid in the belly which would definitely point more towards rupture. One way to help with terminating efforts of resuscitation is to look for any cardiac activity on ultrasound, which would also give a gross idea as to what may have happened.

In short, ask the ED. There's likely to be people there who take enough active interest in it since it's an interesting case to know more of what happened.

Some large hospitals have an EMS coordinator who can get you full access to discharge summaries, progress notes, and the like. If this person doesn't exist or isn't helpful, try tracking down the doc you transfered care to (best option) or the nurse manager of the ED. Don't let them pull any HIPPA BS and go thorugh your agency training coordinator if needed.

Some large hospitals have an EMS coordinator who can get you full access to discharge summaries, progress notes, and the like. If this person doesn't exist or isn't helpful, try tracking down the doc you transfered care to (best option) or the nurse manager of the ED. Don't let them pull any HIPPA BS and go thorugh your agency training coordinator if needed.

As the hospital EMS coordinator, providing follow-up to field providers is a big part of my job description. I spent a good part of the day today sending cath lab reports and images back to medics who brought in field cath lab activations (including a 9 minute D2B!). Feedback to our crews is an essential part of the EMS system; I would check with your medical director about how best to get this kind of info.

Archived