Working as a part-time EMT as a full time student?

Also, how much studying/homework is done outside of class?

Do you mean while working or how much HW/Studying you'll have in general? If its the latter, plan on it being quite a lot. In my A/P class alone I was studying and doing hw at every chance I got. Woke up early on Saturdays to do more, etc. But my teacher gave a lot and that may not always be the case. Throw in an additional 3 classes on top of that and it gets a little heavy but doable. There is a strong population on here that has done exactly what you initially mentioned in your OP. It will prepare you that much more for the rigors of PA school once accomplished.

Also, how much studying/homework is done outside of class?

Do you mean while working or how much HW/Studying you'll have in general? If its the latter, plan on it being quite a lot. In my A/P class alone I was studying and doing hw at every chance I got. Woke up early on Saturdays to do more, etc. But my teacher gave a lot and that may not always be the case. Throw in an additional 3 classes on top of that and it gets a little heavy but doable. There is a strong population on here that has done exactly what you initially mentioned in your OP. It will prepare you that much more for the rigors of PA school once accomplished.

I worked part time as an EMT (also part time as a carpenter/welder) during undergrad. I also worked full time as an EMT during paramedic school. I've been working full time as a paramedic while taking prereq classes, and I hope to work part time/per diem as a paramedic during PA school...but I also have no social life. So, yes, it's doable for some people.

As for flexible shifts, it really depends where you are working. Larger agencies run more trucks which means more possibe shifts. As about call volume...low call volume = time to study.

I worked part time as an EMT (also part time as a carpenter/welder) during undergrad. I also worked full time as an EMT during paramedic school. I've been working full time as a paramedic while taking prereq classes, and I hope to work part time/per diem as a paramedic during PA school...but I also have no social life. So, yes, it's doable for some people.

As for flexible shifts, it really depends where you are working. Larger agencies run more trucks which means more possibe shifts. As about call volume...low call volume = time to study.

If you are talking about during undergrad, it is doable. I was taking a full schedule while working one full time and two part time jobs. I worked a 24/48 fire department schedule, and also worked 2-3 days a week at my part time jobs (one being occupational health at an Orlando theme park, and the other as a Paramedic instructor) It was tough, and I didn't have much spare time, but I did that for a year.

If you mean during PA school, there are a few in my class that are working on the weekends, but they are having a rough time. We are studying a lot at night and on the weekends. I am studying 30-40 hours a week outside of class, and there are some who are doing double that.

If you are talking about during undergrad, it is doable. I was taking a full schedule while working one full time and two part time jobs. I worked a 24/48 fire department schedule, and also worked 2-3 days a week at my part time jobs (one being occupational health at an Orlando theme park, and the other as a Paramedic instructor) It was tough, and I didn't have much spare time, but I did that for a year.

If you mean during PA school, there are a few in my class that are working on the weekends, but they are having a rough time. We are studying a lot at night and on the weekends. I am studying 30-40 hours a week outside of class, and there are some who are doing double that.

I'm a former Army medic and current EMT, and I've worked the last 4 years as an EMT part time while I went to school full time. If you're willing to entertain the idea of not working on a truck, working in an office has served me quite well. I worked at an urgent care as an EMT 25 hours a week, and I'm currently working as an EMT in a private practice neurology office. Needless to say, it is definitely doable. As mentioned in previous posts, however, my social life is less than ideal between work and keeping my GPA competitive.

I'm a former Army medic and current EMT, and I've worked the last 4 years as an EMT part time while I went to school full time. If you're willing to entertain the idea of not working on a truck, working in an office has served me quite well. I worked at an urgent care as an EMT 25 hours a week, and I'm currently working as an EMT in a private practice neurology office. Needless to say, it is definitely doable. As mentioned in previous posts, however, my social life is less than ideal between work and keeping my GPA competitive.

How about taking the EMT class while taking 16 credits already? There's an ambulance service an hour away that runs a class from mid-August to mid-December on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6pm-10pm. Is this doable? How much work is required outside of the class itself?

How about taking the EMT class while taking 16 credits already? There's an ambulance service an hour away that runs a class from mid-August to mid-December on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6pm-10pm. Is this doable? How much work is required outside of the class itself?

I took my EMT class with a 20 credit work load and did just fine. If you have great time management skills it should be fine.

Also, I work about 108 hours every two weeks with an 18 credit load and so far no issues.

It's more of a "How good is your time management" kind of question

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I took my EMT class with a 20 credit work load and did just fine. If you have great time management skills it should be fine.

Also, I work about 108 hours every two weeks with an 18 credit load and so far no issues.

It's more of a "How good is your time management" kind of question

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Archived