2 years in, $158,000/yr

Clickbait title, I know

Just wanted to share my current situation for those of you, like me, who like to see competitive contracts.

Primary Job:

Primary care. $130,000/yr salary + $5,000 bonus end of year for retention + $5,000 for mileage reimbursement. Standard work week of about 35 hrs M-F. 

25 days PTO + 5 days for CME and a small stipend

3% 401k match (Weakest point of the contract)

Medical, dental, and vision coverage at a low cost from me. 

Per Diem: 

Emergency Med (My previous full-time job). 

$75/hr x 10 hr shifts. 2 days/month for a total of $18,000/yr

Keep grinding out there folks!

On 4/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, SoCal_PA said:

Clickbait title, I know

Just wanted to share my current situation for those of you, like me, who like to see competitive contracts.

Primary Job:

Primary care. $130,000/yr salary + $5,000 bonus end of year for retention + $5,000 for mileage reimbursement. Standard work week of about 35 hrs M-F. 

Per Diem: 

Sounds great, but your name says SoCal so your COL must be about 10x higher than mine so that does not sound good to me...

COL calculator: San Diego making $158K translates into a COL in my area (lower mid west) of $96K (38% lower COL) which I made $125K ($94K at primary job working 32 hrs/week) and ($31K doing DBQs for VA, I was taxed $8,000K as it is a 1099 so I really made $117K). So you would have to make ~$191K in San Diego with the COL difference (63.25% higher COL making $117K in my area). I used bankrate.com COL calculator.  

I say this all the time on this forum, just cause you "make" a lot of money you HAVE to factor in the COL. 

The declaration of $158k/yr, or $120k/yr, or $200k/yr is a complete nothing-burger if you lump every penny you make from multiple jobs.  All of us, and many outside the field, have the potential to make a lot or nothing.

I know guys working oil platforms out in the gulf, that are pulling down $150k+/yr, with a high school education.  They spend 28 consecutive days, working 12-16 hours every one of those days getting dirty.

We are all trading time for money.  It’s only logical that the more time we spend working, the more money we will earn.  To compare your yearly income from working two or three jobs to my one, is completely irrelevant.  Early in my career, I busted ass and made $160k-$170k by spreading myself thin across 2-3 positions, both with my own sanity, and at the expense of quality time with my family.  Looking back, it was a stupid move.  I am much happier now, earning a lot less.

If it’s all about the money, this is the wrong profession.  I could have been richer doing many other things; and frequently wish I had.

Guest ERCat

What do you mean? SoCal doesn’t seem to be busting their butt working multiple jobs - working pretty much a 40 hour work week! I would say that’s pretty awesome!

13 hours ago, ERCat said:

What do you mean? SoCal doesn’t seem to be busting their butt working multiple jobs - working pretty much a 40 hour work week! I would say that’s pretty awesome!

Has nothing to do with "busting your butt" but more so with the $/hr you make. See above post from myself. 

$130K/year + $5K + $5K = $140K.    1 month off for PTO/CME (sweeeeeeet!!!!), and 35hr/week otherwise = about $83.3/hour.  That's pretty good.

Of course, in my closest metro area, to maintain the same standard of living would only require $90K/year according to Bankrate.

Reversing that, making $140K a year here would require SoCal to make $218K.

For that difference, I can travel to the left coast and see the ocean (and likely spend more time on the beach with a fruity-rum-drink in my hand) than someone who lives there!

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, SoCal_PA said:

Clickbait title, I know

Primary Job:

Per Diem: 

Hi SoCal_PA,

I have a question regarding your 401K matching, looks like you get 3% match to 401k from your $130,000 salary right? I thought if any salary above $120,000, that there's no match at all for being Highly Compensated Employee? is there a loop around it? 

Thank you

Archived