Rudeboyirie

NHSC Scholarship 2018 Thread

1) Being a finalist means nothing special. If you actually read the email rather than skim it you'd see that it's still not a promise of award. It's nothing special that they want your banking information. It's only a "just in case" situation. 

2) There is no telling how long a counter sign will take. It could take up to the last day or it could, like most, not happen at all.

3) Keep waiting.

18 minutes ago, Price said:

1) Being a finalist means nothing special. If you actually read the email rather than skim it you'd see that it's still not a promise of award. It's nothing special that they want your banking information. It's only a "just in case" situation. 

2) There is no telling how long a counter sign will take. It could take up to the last day or it could, like most, not happen at all.

3) Keep waiting.

Well, being a finalist does mean they selected your application to move forward amongst many, many others so I hardly think that qualifies as “nothing special.” Not a guarantee, sure, but a step in the process and it appears from other threads that the majority of finalists (again, not all) do get countersigned. Regardless of the outcome, I am excited that my app was reviewed and progressed to this point and look forward to practicing in underserved areas either way. 

Edited by MG358

Question

I am african american, not from a disadvantaged background, never worked in an underserved area, I HAVE completed about ~200 hours of volunteer with the underserved and ~120 hours of volunteer with at risk teens... I have the desire to want to continue to work with the underserved

Would i even be considered for the scholarship. Is it worth trying for? I see people who get it are from an underserved area and have worked there for ~4years...

Do I even have a shot? my gpa is 3.5

I got the countersignature at 9:31 am! Please message me if you got a countersign to join our facebook group.

For future applicants:
First round credit check
First round finalist
PA student requesting 2 years funding
High GPA
Disadvantaged background
2 years working in homeless healthcare
Sought help from prehealth college advisor for revising essays

Edited by electric1

Hi guys, did they send an email about the countersignature? I just looked at my contract and it says it was countersigned but i didn't receive and email about it.

1 minute ago, Drreynolds376 said:

Hi guys, did they send an email about the countersignature? I just looked at my contract and it says it was countersigned but i didn't receive and email about it.

Nope, no email was sent out yet, that's the next step. Those of us posting have the same thing as you, just the countersignature on the contract. This apparently means you were awarded the scholarship, which makes sense since it is a contract and on the top it says only applicants selected for participation will get their contracts signed. Now just look out for the official congratulations message, should be coming by September 30th. Congrats ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By NPthePA2018
      Undergrad Ed School: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
      Major (GPA) // Minor (GPA) : Biology (3.58) with 2 minors in Chemistry (2.9) & Psychology (4.0)
      Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.68
      Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.58
      Post Bachelor GPA: N/A
      Age at application time : 22
      1st GRE - V: 141 Q: 150 W: 3.0 // I unfortunately scheduled the GRE after taking 2 summer finals (Physics and Psychology of Individual Differences) so this score is pretty much a baseline for how I would do with minimal / no studying. 
      2nd GRE - V: 149 Q 161 W: 3.0 // The GRE prep I used was Magoosh and they did not have an analytical practice section so my AW score was the same, but my verbal and quantitative scores improved tremendously! Magoosh usually has pretty good sales for a 6 month subscription for $125 (regular price of 1 month subscription) around January and July. 
      Direct Patient Care : (Patient Care Technician / CNA)
      Cerebrovascular / Diabetic floor (2 years ~2,500 hours)
      Float pool / Anywhere in the hospital (~500 hours)
      Extracurricular / Leadership / Research Activities: 
      Greek organization // Junior and Senior scholarship committee
      Pre-PA club // Treasurer 2 full terms 
      UTC Medical Society // Member
      Volunteer for local hospital, Adult and Children's Emergency Room (200 hours) Children's Believe Campaign and St. Jude Up till Dawn participant (~25 hours), Girls on the Run (~10 hours)
      Supporter of various organizations such as Ronald McDonald House, Make A Wish foundation, TC Thomson's Children's Hospital, Girl Scouts of America 
      LOR
      PA in Neurosurgical and Spine Unit (Shadowed 150 hours)
      RN who's director/manager of Neuroscience (Known for 2 years)
      RN Clinical Staff Leader (Known for 1 year)
      Professor who I had 3 classes in Microbiology (B) , Immunology (A), and Microbial Ecology (A) 
      Saving one more recommendation request for a potential PA or MD 
      Personal Statement Topic: I talked about my personal childhood struggles with many health issues in my family & how I wanted to pursue a career that provides access to healthcare . I then weaned into my work experience at the hospital and mentoring. Ended it with a description of the PA I shadowed and all the qualities that I believe I had to be an important asset in healthcare.
      Schools Applied: Six. UTHSC, South College - Knoxville, South College - Nashville,  Lincoln Memorial University, Lipscomb University, and UAB
      Application Submitted Date:
      06/03 for UTSHC, LMU, and UAB
      Late June for South College Knoxville and Lipscomb
      Mid August for South College- Nashville
      Schools Received Application Date: Most of the schools received my application in less than a week after it was verified. Verified 2 days after I submitted my CASPA application. 
      Interview Invites: LMU
      Denied: UTHSC
      Waitlisted: UAB
      Accepted: N/A
      Attempts: 2nd (Applied pretty late 1st cycle to 1 school because of graduation/deadline issues so this theoretically would be my 1st real application cycle) 
      Plan B if all else fails:
      1. Pursue an accelerated Masters in Pharmacology to compensate all this waiting since most of these PA schools matriculate in August 2019 
      2. Take the MCAT. Some PA schools allow MCAT scores and would be a good refresher in basic prerequisite courses. 
      3. Shadow MD's, PA"s, NP's, PT's 
      I would greatly appreciate all the strengths and weaknesses in my current application. Any other ideas to improve my application would be helpful as well. Thank you guys so much! 
    • By futurePAeryka
      I figured I would start the thread for this cycle! I applied yesterday 5/21 and CASPA verified 5/22, still waiting for an email confirmation that my application was received. Good luck to everyone this cycle!!!
    • By futurePAeryka
      I figure I would start the thread for the program this year! I just applied today and awaiting CASPA verification.
    • By Chrissylee
      Starting a post for the 2018-2019 cycle for Cal Baptist University's PA program! Good luck everyone!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More