Tail insurance for malpractice

I am about to leave my current job that I was only at for 3 months. My employer says my malpractice insurance is a group claims-made policy. They said once the policy is terminated, tail will be purchased by the employer. Until then they will keep me as a "terminated schedule." They said I would be covered if anything happened during those 3 months I was there. Is there anything I need to get proof from my malpractice that tail is purchased or that I am still covered under the malpractice insurance even when I am not working there? I would hate to be sued one day and to find out I am not covered by the malpractice insurance that I thought I was covered under..

1 hour ago, Graduate111 said:

I am about to leave my current job that I was only at for 3 months. My employer says my malpractice insurance is a group claims-made policy. They said once the policy is terminated, tail will be purchased by the employer. Until then they will keep me as a "terminated user." They said I would be covered if anything happened during those 3 months I was there. Is there anything I need to get proof from my malpractice that tail is purchased or that I am still covered under the malpractice insurance even when I am not working there? I would hate to be sued one day and to find out I am not covered my the malpractice insurance that I thought I was covered under..

There's really not much you can do.  Hopefully you got the "we will cover the tail" in writing in your initial contract/employment agreement.  If anything comes up, all you can do is sue your employer for not honoring the employment while you fight the lawsuit....ugg.

17 minutes ago, Graduate111 said:

Typically if it is a group policy, then employer would have to pay tail automatically right? However I once had a job that was also a group policy claims made and they made me pay for my own tail (2000 dollars). This is all just so confusing 

I have a group policy and they are making me pay for my tail. It is very confusing and I wish my school would have prepared us for this.

Being made to pay your own tail is 100% complete and utter BULLSHIT.  Pardon the vulgarity, but there is no other way to say it.  Unless you were required to pay your own malpractice fees while you worked there, it is utterly unconscionable that you would be forced to pay your tail when you leave.  Tail has been part of every job agreement I have had and have ever even heard of for the last 25 years of my practice.  It infuriates me to see employers taking advantage of young PA's like this.  I would never, ever....EVER sign an employment agreement/contract that did not specifically state...WE PAY THE TAIL.  Jesh....unreal the times we are now practicing in.

9 hours ago, Cideous said:

Being made to pay your own tail is 100% complete and utter BULLSHIT.  Pardon the vulgarity, but there is no other way to say it.  Unless you were required to pay your own malpractice fees while you worked there, it is utterly unconscionable that you would be forced to pay your tail when you leave.  Tail has been part of every job agreement I have had and have ever even heard of for the last 25 years of my practice.  It infuriates me to see employers taking advantage of young PA's like this.  I would never, ever....EVER sign an employment agreement/contract that did not specifically state...WE PAY THE TAIL.  Jesh....unreal the times we are now practicing in.

I bet most superficial bean counters don't understand the difference.  I just refreshed my clinic manager on this two days ago.  It's like everything else, what's the cheapest cost right now?

Archived