Masters program GPA

Hi guys, I applied to PA schools at the beginning of this cycle. However, I had a feeling that I won't be hearing back, mostly due to my undergrad GPA, and started a one year masters program in biomedical sciences. I will be graduating with a 4.0 and took all upper level science classes. So my question is, will this GPA help raise my overall sGPA which was a 3.2? Or is it placed in a separate category and counted towards masters GPA? And In that case will they look at both sGPA's or still give more weight to the undergrad sGPA?

Thanks!!(:

Bonus question: Am I allowed to match a science class from my masters program as a pre-req? For example; grad school immunology course for PA schools that ask for "other science courses".

On CASPA where it calculates your GPA you will get an undergrad science GPA, a graduate science GPA, an overall science GPA and an overall BCP GPA. Your graduate science courses will factor in to your overall science GPA. And yes you can assign a graduate science course to a prerequisite as long as it meets criteria. I did that for multiple programs. 

Where did you do your masters?

11 minutes ago, mooredc said:

On CASPA where it calculates your GPA you will get an undergrad science GPA, a graduate science GPA, an overall science GPA and an overall BCP GPA. Your graduate science courses will factor in to your overall science GPA. And yes you can assign a graduate science course to a prerequisite as long as it meets criteria. I did that for multiple programs. 

Where did you do your masters?

Gotchya! So admissions will also look at the overall science GPA section too.

I got my masters at Roosevelt University in Chicago! Most of the science classes aren't pre-reqs but there are a few like cell bio, immuno, and molecular bio that might count. 

One more question, when CASPA asks you to assign a class, do you put all attributed classes? For example, if I wanted to match a class for Chemistry II would I add both the chem II class I got a C- and the redo that I got an A in? Or do I just match the one with the A?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, rpat11394 said:

Gotchya! So admissions will also look at the overall science GPA section too.

I got my masters at Roosevelt University in Chicago! Most of the science classes aren't pre-reqs but there are a few like cell bio, immuno, and molecular bio that might count. 

One more question, when CASPA asks you to assign a class, do you put all attributed classes? For example, if I wanted to match a class for Chemistry II would I add both the chem II class I got a C- and the redo that I got an A in? Or do I just match the one with the A?

Thanks!

So yes when a school says they require a minimum science GPA of say 3.2, that will include every science class you have taken both graduate and undergrad. 

You can assign multiple classes to a prerequisite but you don't have to do it in the case you are referencing. For example my undergrad separated lecture and lab as two classes so I had to assign both lecture and lab to each prerequisite. In your case though, you would only need to assign the highest grade to your prerequisite. Obviously the adcom will still see both grades though. And also for any class you repeated you have to mark those as repeated classes. I had a couple of repeated courses I had to do that for, but they never came up in interviews. 

Archived