pre req change

So I've been getting things in order to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle, I went on a tour of the JAX campus last December and was given a student handbook. The handbook (along with their website at the time) stated that either organic chemistry OR biochemistry were accepted to fulfill that pre req. Recently I visited their website again and it stated that biochemistry was now a requirement, and organic chemistry was not even mentioned. So I was wondering could this maybe be an error, or do programs tend to change pre reqs like that? I have not taken biochemistry because most programs will accept either organic chemistry OR biochem it seems.

What is your opinion? I have emailed admissions but have yet to hear back.

21 hours ago, Prepaguy23 said:

So I've been getting things in order to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle, I went on a tour of the JAX campus last December and was given a student handbook. The handbook (along with their website at the time) stated that either organic chemistry OR biochemistry were accepted to fulfill that pre req. Recently I visited their website again and it stated that biochemistry was now a requirement, and organic chemistry was not even mentioned. So I was wondering could this maybe be an error, or do programs tend to change pre reqs like that? I have not taken biochemistry because most programs will accept either organic chemistry OR biochem it seems.

What is your opinion? I have emailed admissions but have yet to hear back.

Hello! I’ve talked to admissions and biochemistry is now a mandatory pre req for this upcoming cycle. I think it’s implied that organic chemistry is needed, I’m pretty sure at most schools it’s a pre req for biochemistry. 

I emailed the Orlando campus fairly recently, and they did confirm that biochem will be the desired course from here on out (i.e. this coming cycle.) A lot of schools do require orgo to take biochem but there are a handful of universities out there that will allow you to do it online without orgo (UNE and Doane I believe are a couple of examples.) Caveat emptor though. Check with NSU first to see if they will allow you to take that route before investing your time and money.

Archived