New Business Choices....

So down to the wire on starting a new practice in my area

one final decision

do I take a physician co owner

not as simple as it seems.......

I prefer to not have a co-owner but in order to bill medicare I have to have a co-owner (1%) and in the state of Mass I have to be a Professional Corp and this means I can't just have some random person owning the last 1%

the challenge - if I don't have a 1% co-owner I can not bill medicare.

I "think" the local area might support a pay for service home care practice (with visits costing $150-$250) but it is a big risk. I really believe this will be wildly successful as a medicare practice and self pay all others (and will provide 1500 claim form so they can submit for reimbursement easily)

but do I do cash only and own 100% of the business - or - make the doc 1-5% owner and allow myself to take medicare (and likely be very successful.....)

I go back and forth in my head about every 5 minutues......

depends what % of your practice you see as medicare. if it's a small % forget the doc. if it's > 10% you probably need one...you can write the contract in such a way that if they leave they have to sell the 1% back to you to transfer to a new doc. call it a partnership incentive or something, not "part ownership". and if you have 1 doc you probably need 2 at 1% each in case 1 leaves, dies, etc

anticipate about 90% from medicare (there is no one doing home visits in a town of 50k people) and suspect will get some cash pay urgent care home visits and some wealthy who just pay cash

have thought about having 2 doc's on board but not excited to pay supervision to two seperate doc's

anticipate about 90% from medicare (there is no one doing home visits in a town of 50k people) and suspect will get some cash pay urgent care home visits and some wealthy who just pay cash

have thought about having 2 doc's on board but not excited to pay supervision to two seperate doc's

There may be other (besides Medicare) non-tangibles for having a doc be 1% owner. In my contracting with insurance companies there were a lot of raised eyebrows when they considered that I was the owner. Shouldn't be that way. My # 1 insurer (if they pulled out I would be dead) Regence, had their medical adviser (an MD) say that they should not do business with any PA or NP owned practices. So for them, I simply listed myself and my SP as "co-owners" while his share is just 1%.

I have a second MD as SP (alternate) but I only pay him per Diem when I use him. That is rare. But it looks good on paper for the state and others to have him listed.

Archived