Lincoln-Memorial, Harrogate, TN

So I'm trying to narrow down where to send off my applications and, based on the admissions requirements and what-not, I think I may be a pretty good fit at LM. But then I'm looking at googlemaps and it's located in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I mean, Knoxville is the closest city at three hours and some change. Can anyone tell me something good about Harrogate?? Does anyone know anything about this school and it's reputation? Do they merit moving to the middle of nowhere? If I get accepted, will I have to learn to hunt and forage for berries?

So I'm trying to narrow down where to send off my applications and, based on the admissions requirements and what-not, I think I may be a pretty good fit at LM. But then I'm looking at googlemaps and it's located in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I mean, Knoxville is the closest city at three hours and some change. Can anyone tell me something good about Harrogate?? Does anyone know anything about this school and it's reputation? Do they merit moving to the middle of nowhere? If I get accepted, will I have to learn to hunt and forage for berries?

I don't much about their PA program. But while I was in PA school at the University of Kentucky, one of my best friends went to Lincoln Memorial (RN program). I would drop by to visit them once a semester.

Beautiful but small campus. Yes, Knoxville is an hour south, Lexington hour and half north and not much else. If you are into hiking, canoeing, camping, even rock climbing, there is the Cumberland Gap National Historic Park which is nice (I camped there a few times).

I just started at LMU in May and I have nothing negative to say about the program so far. Yes, it is a small town, but it is great for the amount of time you will be dedicating to studying. We have a pretty diverse class with people from several different states and very few complain about the area. There isn't a lot to do like you would find in a city setting, but there are several hiking trails and things to do outdoors. The school is only growing at this point and the technology is far beyond what you will see at other schools. I would at least visit before removing it from your choices. Hope this helps!

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is quite old, but just in case anyone happens to check this out, I am also an LMU graduate (the FNP program as opposed to the PA program) but I agree that there is nothing I can really say negative about LMU. I grew up right across the border from Harrogate, and Harrogate and the surrounding tows are really nice areas that is kind of limited but there really is plenty to do outdoors. To get from LMU to Knoxville takes just over an hour, so it's not too far to get to where there are some things to do. The whole school is constantly growing. The PA program (as well as the FNP program) shares resources with the DO school, which is the newest and one of the biggest medical schools in Tennessee now. Because it is so new, the resources that you have available to you in the PA, NP, nurse anesthesia, nursing, and DO programs are pretty much state of the art. The medical school has it's own medical clinic to serve the student population and to use for teaching purposes. They also have several nice labs with advanced technology. In addition to the off site clinic mentioned already, their is a clinic within the medical school that the school uses for the DO, NP, and PA students in which they pay people to come in and play patient in order to teach the process in assessment class. LMU in general is growing. In addition to the fairly new medical (DO) school that includes a PA program, they now have nurse anesthesia, family nurse practitioner (of which I am a proud graduate) and psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner programs. LMU has a doctoral level education program, an MBA program, and recently opened the LMU Duncan School of Law. There are rumblings that within the next few years they are going to build a hospital affiliated with the school to use as a teaching facility. They are building a new state of the art medical clinic. I've also heard they are building a new school of nursing building and giving the third floor of the medical school back to the DO and PA students. It really is a beautiful campus and a beautiful area and LMU is a quickly growing school. They also have off campus sites in nearby surrounding areas, including a recently opened off campus site in Knoxville that is really, really nice. I had classes there and just that off campus site is impressive enough to be a stand alone college! I personally think LMU should be in anyone's list of possible locations if considering PA, DO, NP, or nurse anesthesia programs.

Archived