Will these expunged records affect my ability to get PA license?

I'm an aspiring PA student and these are the following offenses: false info to obtain driver's license (plead guilty but case was expunged) and indecent exposure (found not guilty and case was dismissed).  Both offenses were due to a mental illness which has been treated and I have been completely rehabilitated.  Will this prevent a medical board from granting a PA license?  I know some states say that you don't have to disclose expunged records, but wouldn't them seeing the expunged record in the FBI files dissuade them from granting the license? I don't want to go through years of PA school just to find out in the end that the state won't grant my PA license.  

8 hours ago, Helix3000 said:

I know some states say that you don't have to disclose expunged records, but wouldn't them seeing the expunged record in the FBI files dissuade them from granting the license? I don't want to go through years of PA school just to find out in the end that the state won't grant my PA license.  

If the licensing board states you do not have to disclose expunged records, it should not cause you any issue at all.

The real question is are you ever obligated to disclose an expunged record. That is debatable. I would imagine these things should not prevent licensure  if they are expunged. 

You have an expunged record and a charge that was dismissed; they are two different things.  It is likely you may have to explain one or both.  It's best to prepare for that.  

You can easily call or email the state in question's medical board anonymously and ask.  Tell them your name is Andrew Wakefield.  (apologies to anyone else with that name)

With full disclosure, I can't answer what they may do.  The length of time that has elapsed and the exact circumstances may be weighed.  For instance, with indecent exposure, it could be something stupid like getting drunked up and peeing in an alley, or it could be like flashing kids or something.  They are worlds apart.  The license thing is a tougher one, that's licensing fraud, but as you point out, there may have been extenuating circumstances.  

Not helpful I know, just food for thought.

Ask a lawyer in the state where you are applying for a license if you are required to answer "yes" to questions about being charged with any crime (felony or misdemeanor) which resulted in an expungement. Get that lawyer's opinion in writing and do what that lawyer says. Make sure the lawyer has extensive experience in state licensing issues. Every time you apply to a new state ask another lawyer in that state.

So you have one legal entanglement that sounds like fraud and another that sounds like some sexual deviance. If you had a drug offense, you would have the full trifecta of things that make a licensing board nervous. 

Attention all pre-PA people: make good choices. You don't have a right to become a PA. No one owes you forgiveness or a second chance. Bad choices will threaten your goals.

Archived