Waitlisted... should I retake the GRE?

Hey everybody,

So I have been interview waitlisted by 2 of the 8 schools I have applied to and I haven't heard back from the remaining 6 yet.

In my opinion my stats are pretty average: 3.61 sGPA, 3.54 sGPA, BS in Biochemistry, 100 shadowing hours, 1300 paid PCE as a lab assistant/phlebotomist, 200 community service/volunteer hours, and I made sure that my personal statement and letters of rec are top notch.

The only thing holding me back is my mediocre GRE score: 148 Math, 154 Vocab, and 3.0 writing.

In your guys' opinion is it worth it to retake the exam, and if there's improvement to call the school to notify them. Could it potentially earn me and interview from the schools that have me waitlisted?

Lemme know what y'all think!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hmm, something seems off. My stats are much lower and I've gotten 4 interviews to date. You have good stats and while your GRE is low.. it shouldn't be preventing you from getting any interviews since the combined score is >300. 

Did you apply too late? Apply to only top tier programs such as Duke, GWU, etc? Maybe a bad LOR?

I submitted my application around July 10th. And I applied to fairly competitive programs but not those ones. I applied to Midwestern in Glendale, Touro in Vallejo and Las Vegas, USC, Samuel Merritt, Pacific University in Oregon, Northern Arizona University, and UNT-Fort Worth.

So idk maybe it's a LOR? But I'd be really surprised for that to be the cause.

3 minutes ago, philllyvee said:

I submitted my application around July 10th. And I applied to fairly competitive programs but not those ones. I applied to Midwestern in Glendale, Touro in Vallejo and Las Vegas, USC, Samuel Merritt, Pacific University in Oregon, Northern Arizona University, and UNT-Fort Worth.

So idk maybe it's a LOR? But I'd be really surprised for that to be the cause.

Your stats seem to be on par with those schools in my opinion. I'm not sure if they heavily favor in state residents (I know NAU does). I would just wait and see what your remaining schools say before asking why you didn't get an interview invite. With your stats, you're most likely to get an interview if your application looks solid. 

Even if your GRE is a combined 300, your math is in the 30th percentile and your writing is in the 18th percentile. OP I think you've made a fair assumption, but I wouldn't retake it immediately and update the schools, but I would wait and see how the rest of your cycle goes and IF things don't work out, really prep for the GRE again and take it for the next cycle (or nonrolling or schools with 2018 deadlines this cycle) when you're ready. You still have 8 schools to hear from, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Hopefully, you won't have to do this again next year, but if you do, I'd also suggest applying April through early June (just for an added edge to getting your app seen sooner).

ALSO, do you mean you were waitlisted for interviews or waitlisted after being interviewed?

GRE is almost always just a box to check; it's an easy way to filter applicants.  If they would consider interviewing you, your GRE is not holding you back.  If retaking it would make you feel better, then sure, but it likely won't have any impact on this cycle.

The rest of your app is on the lower end of average, in my opinion, and that is more likely to be what needs improving if you don't get in this year.  More/better PCE and classes to boost your GPAs would far and away be more impressive than a GRE retake.

Even if your GRE is a combined 300, your math is in the 30th percentile and your writing is in the 18th percentile. OP I think you've made a fair assumption, but I wouldn't retake it immediately and update the schools, but I would wait and see how the rest of your cycle goes and IF things don't work out, really prep for the GRE again and take it for the next cycle (or nonrolling or schools with 2018 deadlines this cycle) when you're ready. You still have 8 schools to hear from, so I wouldn't worry just yet.
Hopefully, you won't have to do this again next year, but if you do, I'd also suggest applying April through early June (just for an added edge to getting your app seen sooner).
ALSO, do you mean you were waitlisted for interviews or waitlisted after being interviewed?

Waitlisted for interviews.

Your GRE is on the low side, your grades are fine, and you experience is maybe a little less hands-on than some. Retaking the GRE after some preparation might help some as your current score may raise some red flags.

Your LORs and essay are worth looking in to as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for advice for GRE. I took it 3 years ago and got 299 and 3.0 writing (not the greatest). I retook it last year and got a little lower but 4.5 on writing. I wasn't sure which one was more important to schools to see.
The test is a joke and doesn't even reflect success on future tests. I've never had a problem passing my boards in the past. But I didn't know if they weighed more on score or analytical writing more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived