Masters suggestions.

• Administrator

The way I see it, you have two or three major factors, only one of which you've stated:

1. What will look good for PA school?  Believe it or not, this is not limited to your bio/chem/stated post-bacc designed for med school.  MBA focusing on entrepreneurship, MPH, MA in counseling, or any number of other masters' might fit in.  Of the three of us in my PA class of 42 whom I know to have had Masters' prior to the class, I had an MDiv, one had an MPH, and one had a MS in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

2. What will be most economical?  PA school is a lot of money with a minuscule to nonexistent income, and adding $20k or more (!) for another masters' is going to make crawling out of the debt hole that much harder.  If you look long and hard at this, your most economical solution may well be NOT a masters', but instead a collection of more undergraduate classes at community college.

3. What inspires you?  There's really nothing worse than spending tons of money and your mental efforts on something that just doesn't inspire you.

The University of South Florida (in Tampa) offers a 1 yr Master of Medical Science program and even has an online only option. The program is all upper level science classes geared towards medical school entrance. They used to offer preferred entrance to USF med school for graduates of this program, but that ended last year. Either way, its a great foundation for PA school. 

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/graduatestudies/ms_health_science

3 hours ago, rev ronin said:

The way I see it, you have two or three major factors, only one of which you've stated:

1. What will look good for PA school?  Believe it or not, this is not limited to your bio/chem/stated post-bacc designed for med school.  MBA focusing on entrepreneurship, MPH, MA in counseling, or any number of other masters' might fit in.  Of the three of us in my PA class of 42 whom I know to have had Masters' prior to the class, I had an MDiv, one had an MPH, and one had a MS in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

2. What will be most economical?  PA school is a lot of money with a minuscule to nonexistent income, and adding $20k or more (!) for another masters' is going to make crawling out of the debt hole that much harder.  If you look long and hard at this, your most economical solution may well be NOT a masters', but instead a collection of more undergraduate classes at community college.

3. What inspires you?  There's really nothing worse than spending tons of money and your mental efforts on something that just doesn't inspire you.

Thank you for your input. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 8:39 AM, EmPA26 said:

The University of South Florida (in Tampa) offers a 1 yr Master of Medical Science program and even has an online only option. The program is all upper level science classes geared towards medical school entrance. They used to offer preferred entrance to USF med school for graduates of this program, but that ended last year. Either way, its a great foundation for PA school. 

Do you know how much this program costs?

On 9/3/2017 at 11:39 AM, EmPA26 said:

The thing to keep in mind with this is that it is designed for people who need to boost their grades to get into med school (and sure, PA school).  If after this program you are still not competitive for PA school or don't get in right away, you haven't given yourself any sort of advantage when it comes to jobs or careers.  

I would think you have a lot to prove to overcome a 2.5....this maybe wouldn't be the way I would go.  Someone with a 3.0+ and has a year to do this while earning HCE/PCE hours...and the money to spare, then sure.  I just don't know if it's *enough* for what you're hoping a master's degree will do for you.

Archived