Walgreens won't fill Zyrtec-D from a PA. Must be a doctor.

You cannot get it over the counter in several states including the one I work in, and it also varies by county in my state. All the meth states/counties it is restricted. I write it a couple times a month, but I have a DEA and my states laws are a little different than some, but I have never had a problem. 

1 hour ago, airslant said:

I just got a message from my nurse that my patient called and Walgreens told him they won't fill Zyrtec D one tab daily from a PA. That a doctor would have to prescribe it. Am I wrong that this is BS?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What state are you in? Do you have a DEA number? Will they fill other scheduled drugs that you write for?

If it is legal for you to prescribe this drug in your state, which I gather it is, then you need to call your state's pharmacy board so that they can enforce this.  That pharmacy needs to fill your legal prescriptions.  Alternatively, you could call the pharmacist directly and try to work it out.  But you and your patient's should not be putting up with this crap

You cannot get it over the counter in several states including the one I work in, and it also varies by county in my state. All the meth states/counties it is restricted. I write it a couple times a month, but I have a DEA and my states laws are a little different than some, but I have never had a problem. 

I had no idea! We just have to show ID so they can track and make sure you're not out buying enough for meth making. I didn't realize some states don't let you buy it, at all.

Are you in Tennessee?  Because I think that is the only state left where you cannot get a DEA as a PA and therefore write for controlled drugs.  Florida may also be affected because they just got DEA privileges.  So if you have a DEA you should be able to order this drug even though it is not a controlled substance.  Obviously either Walgreens or your state made this rule for pseudo epinephrine containing drugs, since it is a prescription drug only in a few states that I know of.  

It's unfortunate, however, from my experience, state laws, insurance and corporate policies vary and sometimes create ambiguity about SPs and PAs regarding quantities and refills. Insurance sometimes don't want to reimburse if the SP is not included on the prescription for claim submission, which BIG corporations frown at, thus, putting the pharmacists in bad position when prescriptions are turned down without much explanation due to volumes of prescriptions with little help. Independent pharmacies however, has much time and would take their time to do lots of explanation for their patients.

Talking about Pseudoephedrine, it is sold OTC with ID in Texas, but I leaned is not in some states. There's right to "refuse to fill," which is usually documented. REPORTING it to state board wont change anything except they change the rules they made. Moreso, some rules and policies would say use your judgement while clearly stating you'll be liable if anything goes wrong against state law. So, some pharmacists play safe and avoid getting themselves involved entirely, which shows no comapssion on their parts. At the least, they should do the diligence!.

We have an interesting situation in Idaho...our only pharmacy in our rural town is staffed by a pharmacy tech, pharmacists are 2.5 hours away and do telepharmacy to view rx's and do patient consults.  The pharmacy tech decided because she has a family member addicted to meth to require an rx for any pseudoephedrine...it took 6 months of complaining to the pharmacists to get this stopped.  

If you have other options I'd just tell my patient to go to a different pharmacy and let the pharmacy know that is what you're doing. 

Archived