Pre-Req...working...hopefully on the right track

Hi all,

I am a non-traditional student. I am attending full time Excelsior College working on a BA in Health Science.  I am a 3.0 student, working full time, teaching full time and I have most of the pre-req's done already. I have been a full time paramedic instructor and a full time flight paramedic for the last 15 years.  P.S. working to maintain the 3.0 GPA.  I am way over the 2000 hours.  I also have an associates degree as a paramedic technician. 

Do I even qualify? I have a number 1 school that will be able to work with me and allow me to work to support my family.  A.T. Still is my only hope since I live in Arizona.

Just need some kind of advice or something...

Angie

23 hours ago, FlyGirl724 said:

Hi all,

I am a non-traditional student. I am attending full time Excelsior College working on a BA in Health Science.  I am a 3.0 student, working full time, teaching full time and I have most of the pre-req's done already. I have been a full time paramedic instructor and a full time flight paramedic for the last 15 years.  P.S. working to maintain the 3.0 GPA.  I am way over the 2000 hours.  I also have an associates degree as a paramedic technician. 

Do I even qualify? I have a number 1 school that will be able to work with me and allow me to work to support my family.  A.T. Still is my only hope since I live in Arizona.

Just need some kind of advice or something...

Angie

Most PA schools would neither recommend or discourage working while in school. However, when you enrolled in a PA school and see the level of studying, you'll be able to decide if you want to work concurrently with school.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:27 PM, FlyGirl724 said:

Hi all,

I am attending full time Excelsior College... working full time, teaching full time... a full time paramedic instructor and a full time flight paramedic...

On 8/28/2017 at 6:43 PM, Maynard said:

Please clarify what you mean when you say "full time".

3 hours ago, FlyGirl724 said:

So I am full time in school and full time at work right now. Hope this clarifies

That really didn't clarify anything at all.

• Administrator

I understand well enough to give some advice:

1) It really doesn't matter who or what says you can or cannot work while in PA school--you can't successfully work full time in PA school.  I have no doubt you're capable at juggling a lot, but you're "working to maintain the 3.0 GPA" while working full time, you don't have what it takes to succeed in PA school while working full time.  Anything less than a B in any class is academic jeopardy, depending on how your program sees things.  If you had a 4.0 with your background, I *still* wouldn't recommend it.  You will be able to pick up a shift now and then, when class is not in session, but every PA program I know of has 100% butt-in-seat policy, so if you are late due to weather, you're in PA school professionalism trouble, someplace you don't want to be.

2) Consider insurance alternatives.  I have no insurance, and instead participate in a faith-based healthcare sharing arrangement.  This may or may not be an alternative for you.

3) Look elsewhere.  Applying for one school only is a recipe for frustration and failure--I know, I did it my first year applying.  If you want to be a PA bad enough to get into PA school, you will consider relocating to do it.  Again, I know, because I took my family of 5 and cashed out most of my retirement to do PA school.

In your case, I'd strongly recommend looking at UW Tacoma.  If that works out for you, I'd be happy to introduce you to my friends at Airlift Northwest...

Archived