Age of graduation

I just graduated as a NHA Certified clinical medical assistant and my AAS and AA.  I want to go on and get my PA as it's a passion of mine to work in rural areas with lower income people who don't always have access to medical care. I am 58 and would be 63 graduating.  Am I likely to have difficulty finding employment due to my age upon graduation? I love medicine and have always been involved in some level with it and really want to be in a smaller rural community 

Welcome!

I went to PA school at 58 and graduated at 60; you'll be just a bit older.

I worked full-time as a PA until I was 69 and now, at 71, still work part-time, teach for a PA program part-time, and ride with an EMS unit as a paramedic a couple of times each month. When I was 55 and in my previous job, I couldn't imagine working until I was 65. Now I'm not sure I will ever fully retire, though -- instead of asking -- I just tell my employers when my wife and I are taking vacations.

I personally see no reason that you couldn't do a PA program and get a job afterwards. Schools like diversity, so you should get a look. As far as finding a job afterwards, that may be more of a crap-shoot. I was an engineer for 40 years and an EMT/paramedic for 20 when I went job hunting and my employer really liked the combination of skills. Whether or not you can find a rural setting that will give you a shot is something better answered by you (if you live in such a setting) or by other forum readers who know more about it. Also remember that many students really don't figure out what they really want to do until clinicals, when you get to spend a month doing each of several jobs. (Since you're "old" too, perhaps you remember the actors in the "Dragnet" TV show who were always working in different parts of the police department. That's clinicals!)

I enjoyed the experience of going back to school and wrote a book about it. In summary, it was like going back in a pleasant (mostly!) time machine.

Best wishes.

Archived