3rd year podiatry student looking at PA

I'm currently a 3rd year Podiatry student at DMU. I've just entered clinics and I've finally decided that this is not the field for me. I have thought about it since beginning of first year but I thought to give myself until clinics and surgery training. My passion for podiatry is very close to dying out. I have had many hurdles placed before me in Podiatry and I am close to dropping the program. I don't have the same desire as I did prior to entering.

Anyways, I'm looking at a school in Reno (UNR) which requires no GRE but has a requirement of 2,000 hours of paid patient contact. This is troublesome! Or is it? I most likely will not be able to do whatever is necessary to drop Podiatry and fill out applications for PA school. So within a year, is it possible to get a paid job with patient contact and complete the 2,000 hours? Other requirements I think I have met already. My GPA was a 3.2c and 3.4s but this was almost 5 years ago now. 

How about financial aid? I am a 3rd year Pod student so will I be able to get loans for a new professional career?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

First off, I am sorry to hear of you having lost your passion for podiatry. I think it is possible for you to go to PA school, but I also think that any school you apply to would be wary of you having the same epiphany with becoming a PA as you've had with podiatry. It's a commitment, and something that you have to be sure of. They will definitely ask you about this switch, guaranteed.

As far as the PCE: it doesn't appeal to them for you to just hit the 2000 hour mark as it just seems like you're doing it to knock off a checkbox, and not because it's something you genuinely care for. They're going to want see you're committed and passionate about the healthcare field.

I'm not sure how the grades will reflect, being five years old. Also, the debt situation.

My biggest advice would be to take some time, get certified in something such as a CNA or EMT, work and go back to get the pre-reqs (will take about 1.5 to 2 years) and start to pay off loans, as well. You're going to need to borrow again, and you're going to have to show you're going to be reliable enough to follow through with paying.

Make sure this is something you really want. I personally think it's odd to be that far into your program and want to jump ship. I would honestly finish podiatry school if you're not that far away. It'll show more commitment than not finishing. I think that would be the biggest red flag.

Also, applying to one school is like shooting yourself in the foot. Plan to take the GRE, there's a ton of resources to study for it, and just be prepared for a long process. This will take a while, for sure.

I think that's all the advice I can give. I wish you the best. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your pod program a 4-year program? I think no matter what, you should try to finish because to PA programs, it doesn't look good to be admitted to a professional program to drop out. However, admissions committees understand people who are unsatisfied in their careers and want a different profession. You could practice as a podiatrist to gain PCE and make decent money and decide if you still want to apply to PA school then.

No idea about loans, sorry.

Honestly would it really be a stab to your motivation and passion in the healthcare field to just stick through the podiatry program and work 1-2 years for paid PCE? This as khwaa mentioned, would look better imo, to PA programs in that you can explain you realized it wasn't what you wanted to do, but at least you stuck through with it and finished and got some decent PCE out of it.

Dropping out I feel would put you at a huge disadvantage as you dropped out of a professional program and then were getting yourself in a financial mess trying to hurry and meet prereq's for a new program (that they will undoubtedly feel nervous that you will do the same to their program).

I don't see a situation where dropping out of a program is ever seen in a positive light. I have seen multiple PA schools say med school drop outs will not even be considered. I'd imagine it's the same for podiatry and other healthcare graduate programs. I agree with the other poster; you should probably just work for a year as a podiatrist and apply. Or at least graduate and then apply.

I hope you are aware of what's going on with UNRs PA program.

Assuming you aren't I'm going to fill you in. UNR was supposed to have their first class start this past May. They had over 700 applicants of which only 27 were accepted. In April of this year they failed to receive accreditation and were force to cancel the start of their first ever class. They promised guaranteed admission to the 27 accepted students in the following year assuming they receive accreditation.

So basically they really fucked up and ended up screwing over the 27 accepted students that probably could have gone to other PA schools. Likewise this screws over UNR hopefuls for the next year as they essentially have a full class of students already selected. I do imagine that not all 27 students will come back to UNR the following year but a majority will so the competition to secure the few remaining spots will be insane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived