Reactions to "I'm a Physician Assistant"

Two years ago I was at a fitness expo for a half marathon. I was looking at running socks. I was still in my hospital scrubs as I had rushed over to the expo right after work. The young man who was helping me asked me if I was a nurse. I told him I was a physician assistant. And his reply was, "Oh wow!! Congratulations!!" He was so sincere in his excitement too. I was in shock since I've never received such a reply before. That was incredibly encouraging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More and more, I get patients telling me that they have a friend/family member that is either going to PA school or trying to get into one, which is cool to hear and means they understand what the role is.

The only time I get someone upset that they're seeing me and not a physician is if they had a certain agenda when they showed up- ie, getting a certain test that isn't necessary or prescribed medications that aren't necessary- you get the idea

11 hours ago, True Anomaly said:

The only time I get someone upset that they're seeing me and not a physician is if they had a certain agenda when they showed up- ie, getting a certain test that isn't necessary or prescribed medications that aren't necessary- you get the idea

Ditto.  I only get it every 1-2 years ("I only want to be treated by a physician"), and invariably they have a very specific agenda ("I need a prescription for this XYZ medication") and some degree of personality disorder.

Fortunately I usually get good reactions but one time:

MA: you'll be seeing our PA today

Patient: What is that?

*MA explains what a PA is*

Patient: Well if I wanted to just see a nurse I would have gone and seen my husband (he's an EMT)

Oy....

She then went on to tell me she knew what was wrong with her and my diagnosis was incorrect (it wasn't, she came back 3 days later and the NP confirmed I had diagnosed her correctly)

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎31 at 8:49 PM, medic25 said:

Ditto.  I only get it every 1-2 years ("I only want to be treated by a physician"), and invariably they have a very specific agenda ("I need a prescription for this XYZ medication") and some degree of personality disorder.

PD Is usually known as "snowflakitis", as in "you couldn't possibly have heard of what's wrong with me..." sort of deal.

SK

I never use the word assistant. I introduce myself with my first AND last name, and I say I am one of the PAs at our clinic.

If someone asks what a PA is I say we have a master's degree in Medicine and what we can do (which in Massachusetts is a lot of stuff!)

When at the AAPA conference in San Diego (I am dating myself here!), people assumed PA meant "production assistant" in movies and TV! The proximity to LA, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived