Obtaining CNA/EMT/any certification WHILE full time student in college?

I am a senior in college, with no health care experience whatsoever. Plenty of volunteer hours, and 2 years of research experience.. but no HCE.

I was considering of applying to PA school in June 2012, however w/ my low GPA (3.2), i am discouraged, i don't think ill have a change to get in.

I'm always looking for any sort of "non-certified medical assistant job" but they all require some sort of experience as well.

My question is, Has anyone took a CNA/EMT course (or any sort of certification course) WHILE still a full time student at a university?

I do not want to take a semester off from school in order to obtain a certification as a CNA/EMT.

I will be taking classes in the summer as well and my Plan is to graduate December 2012.

Any advice, please let me know.. Thanks!

Just to add to this, EMT is a cake walk to what you will go through in the future. Between going through Navy Corps School and Paramedic school, EMT education is a joke. Granted, at the time, I thought EMT school was difficult and very hard, however, the further you get into medicine, which, I'm not very far into compared to others, the harder it gets. I cant even imagine what many PA's are/or go through in their studies, compared to what I'm learning now. Just be prepared and understand what you are getting into.

Just to add to this, EMT is a cake walk to what you will go through in the future. Between going through Navy Corps School and Paramedic school, EMT education is a joke. Granted, at the time, I thought EMT school was difficult and very hard, however, the further you get into medicine, which, I'm not very far into compared to others, the harder it gets. I cant even imagine what many PA's are/or go through in their studies, compared to what I'm learning now. Just be prepared and understand what you are getting into.

While EMT school may not be a super stretch of neurons we do need to applaud the OPs decision to get some sort of experience. EMT beats the pants off of doing nothing.

Speaking as a ten year Navy Corpsman and a subsequent paramedic for 12 years... So far PA school has illustrated how little I know.

I am a senior in college, with no health care experience whatsoever. Plenty of volunteer hours, and 2 years of research experience.. but no HCE.

I was considering of applying to PA school in June 2012, however w/ my low GPA (3.2), i am discouraged, i don't think ill have a change to get in.

I'm always looking for any sort of "non-certified medical assistant job" but they all require some sort of experience as well.

My question is, Has anyone took a CNA/EMT course (or any sort of certification course) WHILE still a full time student at a university?

I do not want to take a semester off from school in order to obtain a certification as a CNA/EMT.

I will be taking classes in the summer as well and my Plan is to graduate December 2012.

Any advice, please let me know.. Thanks!

Its doable, I teach Paramedics and EMTs, and there are usually several college students getting EMT certs while still full time in school. EMT is also, IMO a great start for PA school.

Very doable. Two paths exist where I am:

- college class: 3-6 credit hours. This can make it nice if it becomes part of full-time tuition, i.e. no extra cost.

- vocational school: typically cheaper than college tuition.

HOWEVER, the real reason to do it should be to get HCE, not just to check-off some PA pre-req certification box. If you want to learn, you're best off using the EMT certification to get an in-hospital tech job, unless you can get 911 response experience without being dual certified as a firefighter. Private ambulance services hire lots of EMT-Basics, but you do mostly interfacility transports and don't learn much. In my part of the country, the fire service provides almost all of the 911 response.

Don't assume that the EMT course will be a cake-walk. I taught it and 1st responder at the college level for years before pausing to go to PA school. Students who were good at memorizing and reguritating, even excellent in chem, A&P, etc. often had difficulty grasping the mindset of patient assessment and treatment. EMT requires a very broad but shallow level of knowledge, especially of pathophysiology. It's the breadth and the concept of going symptoms ==> patho ==> treatment that's unique at the undergrad level.

Archived