Graduate Certificate Useful?

Considering a Graduate Certificate in Medical Physiology to show ability to handle rigorous course load of PA school after an "inconsistent" undergraduate career. Total of 14 credits in graduate level physiology courses. Below are my other statistics.

31 white male -- Not URM

BS Natural Sciences 

Sub 3.0 cGPA and sGPA but retakes in all necessary classes with improved grades

Top 60% percentile on GRE

> 30k hrs of HCE as paramedic

Strong LOR

Im probably not the best person to take advice from since I am in the same process as you, but more of the responses I have seen on other threads suggest take community college classes in science (12 units/term) . A certificate is good but they are also expensive.

I've already taken or retaken the courses needed for programs and some additional higher level courses. I'm actually at somewhat of an impasse.

I have the funds, albeit just enough, to complete the $6-7k program over two semesters. I almost believe that I've shown what I can do by retaking some undergraduate courses and need to prove I can complete higher level graduate work. Maybe I am off base a bit. Such a confusing process at times.

You have great PCE. I would look at schools that look more at PCE over gpa, such as MEDEX. However, I would do everything you can to get those gpas up to a 3.0. That will open so many doors for you when it comes to applying to schools. 

If your recent coursework is 3.8 or higher, I would just continue to take whatever science classes you can at a community college. 

Doing grad school courses does not raise your undergrad gpa at all, which again will prevent you from meeting the 3.0 min at 95% of schools. 

Not sure the certificate would buy you much. Taking challenging classes might, if you've already retaken the classes you did poorly on the first time. My suggestion is something like pathophysiology, which is a central element of PA education.

From your note, it is not clear that you have yet taken enough classes to raise your cum and science GPAs over 3.0. That's a place to start, unless it's impossible and you have a decent average in your last 60 credits or so. I understand some programs will consider that but have not run across one that does.

Your experience is excellent. You just have to prove you can do graduate work.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice to any and all who contributed.

I should mention a lot of programs in my research use retakes to calculate a different GPA than CASPA BUT it's the liberal arts stuff I messed up along with courses in a very unique major that is no longer offered. So as far as that goes, my cumulative/overall GPA will most likely never be 3.0 without significant work, as in another undergraduate degree.

So what have I done? Taken some higher level stuff and done well (Genetics, Biochemistry). I have great LOR. Great experience. And a pretty good GRE.

I suppose if I have the money to take a 14 credit graduate program in Medical Physiology it wouldn't hurt to bolster some chances. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

Thanks again. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

Archived